BETA of Resol binding available on IoT Marketplace

The resol binding is not a very small one and has some complexity, that’s why I wanted to do a smaller and simpler exercise first, which is the HeliosVentilation one. After that is merged and I learned some lessons, I want to care aigain more about the resol binding and bring it into the official openhab distro.

Thanks - I will be very much looking forward to that.
Please be aware that the current Resol binding is not working properly, if the jar file is put into the add-ons folder as mentioned in this thread. It currently only works if it is installed using paperUI.
I was just wondering why the Resol binding is missing in openHAB 3.0 as the 3.0 dev guys have converted all other bindings - except this one.

I will be happy to participate in testing when you are ready.

@ramack
It seems that we will not be able to use the Resol Eclipse IoT binding in openHAB version 3.0 unless it is adopted to some needed changes. See link

Therefore, it you have time and energy to put Resol into the current distribution 2.5.x which are still released only with bindings changes, it will be highly appreciated. I assume then it will also work in 3.0 as @wborn is referring to.

Thank you.

hi @ramack,
is there somewhere a link to the latest JAR version of your binding. I tried tie Eclipse IoT Binding but it does not work properly for me. Thanks a lot Norbert

Update: just managed to download a version in the web-interface of the Eclipse IoT Binding…but its v2.2.0. I’m confused as i have a version 2.3.0-snapshot on an older machine from 2018. What is better to use now? 2.3snapy or 2.2? any advantage/disadvantage to use 2.3-snap?

Hi Raphael.
Hope you are enjoying the summer.
Did you have time to look into merging the Resol binding into the official openhab distro?
Thanks.
Ejvind

Last week I started to merge the code into the current 2.5.x branch and created a ticket for it but it’s not yet ready for submission. Help is welcome, otherwise please stay tuned.

This is really good news! - I can help by testing.

I have these observations with the current binding:

• If installed through the add-ons folder, the temperature values are only updated on restart of openhab
  • I have not been able to create a working Things file for this binding - only paperUI. If you can share some light on how to do that, it would be great.

Hello @EjvindHald
I have this binding running absolutely flawlessly since more than a month.

If I remember correctly I had to creat a Things file for the bridge, all other came up then automatically.
I will post my things and items files at evening when I am at home again.

I created the bridge as Thing in Paper UI:
grafik

After that the item and corresponding channels arose automatically (if I remember correctly).

Folowing the content of my items file:

Number:Temperature DeltasolTemp1 "Kollektor S1 [%.1f °C]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Temperature_sensor_1"}
Number:Temperature DeltasolTemp2 "Boiler unten S2 [%.1f °C]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Temperature_sensor_2"}
Number:Temperature DeltasolTemp3 "Boiler oben S3 [%.1f °C]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Temperature_sensor_3"}
Number:Temperature DeltasolTemp4 "Solaraußentemp S4 [%.1f °C]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Temperature_sensor_4"}
Number DeltasolRelais1 "Drehzahl Solarpumpe [%f %%]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Pump_speed_relay_1"}
Number DeltasolWarnung1 "Warnung Speichermax Temp [%.0f]" {channel="resol:device:1fffe814:DeltaSol_SLT-Controller:Warning_Maximum_store_temperature"}

And following a snippet from log:

2020-06-29 17:50:50.771 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp3 changed from 67.5 °C to 67.4 °C

2020-06-29 17:50:52.726 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp3 changed from 67.4 °C to 67.5 °C

2020-06-29 17:50:56.752 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp1 changed from 48.0 °C to 48.1 °C

2020-06-29 17:50:58.702 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp1 changed from 48.1 °C to 48.0 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:01.716 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp1 changed from 48.0 °C to 48.1 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:01.721 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp2 changed from 47.7 °C to 47.6 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:01.729 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp3 changed from 67.5 °C to 67.4 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:01.733 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp4 changed from 22.8 °C to 22.900000000000002 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:03.721 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp2 changed from 47.6 °C to 47.7 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:03.725 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp3 changed from 67.4 °C to 67.5 °C

2020-06-29 17:51:03.727 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DeltasolTemp4 changed from 22.900000000000002 °C to 22.8 °C

So it works like a charm :grinning:

Exactly this is how I also did it. In Paper UI created the bridge and afterwards the things are automatically detected and you can add them from the inbox and link channels to it. It should also be possible to create the bridge and other things manually in the item files, but I do not have much experience with that and documenting that will be one of the challenges for making the binding mergable into upstream…

@EjvindHald do you have anyhting else connected to the VBUS via TCP/IP? The vbus bridges support only one connection at a time. And you might want to change the loglevel for the binding and see if something occurs in the logs that helps to track the issue down.

I have done exactly as you show and it working fine for a long time.

What I would like to achieve is - as mentioned - to create the Thing file including the Bridge definition, so I do not have to use paperUI at all.

I have done that for all other bindings I am using and this enables me to spin up a new openhab installation simply by coping these files and nothing more.

Hello ramack,
I have a RESOL device labelled KM1 and tried to get it running with the latest OPENHAB 2.5.5-1 last week.
I can see the browser page of the device itself after integrating it in my LAN via DHCP and everything looks fine there.
In OH, it can be installed with your actual market place binding as a bridge and after throwing this error:

" 2020-07-13 10:46:33.631 [WARN ] [org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel] - /rest/discovery/bindings/resol/scan javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.ServletException: org.glassfish.jersey.server.ContainerException: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Expected static field org.openhab.binding.resol.internal.discovery.ResolVBusBridgeDiscovery.scheduler at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.JettyServerHandlerCollection.handle(JettyServerHandlerCollection.java:88) ~[bundleFile:?] ..."

during the first minute, it goes ONLINE regularly. But then it starts to switch back and forth to OFFLINE and back, reporting
“Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR TCP Connection problem”.
And after a while, it quits completely, saying
2020-07-13 10:54:39.122 [INFO ] [ing.resol.handler.ResolBridgeHandler] - Cannot establish connection to 192.168.2.52 (-ERROR: Too many connections active, quitting...)

I made sure that any other browser window to the KM1 device is closed, but that does not help.
I have already set the Log level to “TRACE” as recommended by ramack, but there are no more error messages.
I cannot find any documentation about this device at RESOL or anywhere else. It seems to me that it is soemthing similar to DL2, but without dedicated SD-card.
Does anybody have experience with this device and can help me to make it work with OH?

Thank you in advance
Wilfried

I do not have experiences with this device but found a pdf at Resol

Are you maybe also connected with vbus.net?
This would explain the error (-ERROR: Too many connections active, quitting...)

@chris4789
thank you very much for this link, I also looked at their website, but did not recognize this document.
Meanwhile, I did a reset of the device with the reset button, and repeated the full setup procedure.
Connection to vbus is disabled. First, it was online for roughly 20 min., then it went OFFLINE again with the same error (too may connections active,…). So there must be something else going on.

Which Resol controller have you connected with the KM1?
Maybe you could give us more info about your setup.

mh I am not aware of such an issue, but normally it should work, if you don’t have anything else connecting to the VBUS-LAN interface. Have you already checked the firmware version on the KM1? Is it the latest available? Could you try with “ServiceCenter-Software RSC” ?

Oh it looks as the KM1 is quite old. @danielwippermann do you know anything about the KM1 and it’s TCP/IP-vbus port? Is it working with the vbus-java library properly?

@chris4789: In the first step, I did not connect the Vbus cable, because I wanted to see if the bridge alone is working. The plan is to connect it to an Sonnenkraft Controller SKSC2 (don’t know the exact RESOL name).
@ramack: The firmware version of the KM1 is 2.1.3 (2014), and the in the browser control window fpr the update it is mentioned that a version 2.1.5 (2016) is available, but this cannot be found with the download link @ RESOL, so update fails.
I have asked the RESOL service for a newer version, but they did not react.
Sure, the part is not on sale anymore, but I given the horrbible price of a new KM1 modules (or others), I wanted to give it a try. And the manual is from 2017, so I think, it is reasonable to explect, that it is still functional.
@danielwippermann: maybe, you can tell if this part is somehow related to the DLx devices.
In the controller page there is a firmare history list, it says that since version 2.1.1
[FEATURE] Added KM1
KM1 is now member of the DLx family.

Update:
My careful step-by-step approach was not the best one in this case.
Meanwhile, I connected the Solar Controller to the KM1 device, et voila, it is immediately found in the OH inbox, it identifies itself as a “SKSR 1/2/3”, and I can define items for all relevant channels, without a single connection drop for now nearly one hour :slight_smile:.

Sorry that I bothered you, but maybe, this reported error behavior can serve as a hint in future problem cases for similar configurations.
And BTW: RESOL is not able to provide updates for KM1, due to “legal reasons” (which I do not understand).

Hi everone!

@ramack: the KM1 uses the same VBus-over-TCP functionality just like the DL2 does. So it should work with the resol-vbus-java library.

@paicl01: as far as I know you cannot easily update your KM1 to 2.1.5. I would consider that your „update available“ message is a bug.

Stay safe and healthy!
Daniel

hi @ramack : This is a great initiative to include the binding in native openHAB - especially when version 3.0 without support for the Eclipse Market Place is just around the corner.

If there is there anything ready for testing, I can do that.