[beta testers wanted!] Jython addon w/ helper libraries (requires OH 2.5.x)

They are supported, but currently you need an add-on for them to work.

The libraries work great and can be manually installed. However, the add-ons waited through out the entire 2.5.x development cycle without being merged, so they need to be recreated for OH3.

To put things in perspective, an open source project won’t ever die if there are people willing to contribute. The problem with OH is that people are willing to contribute, but they and their contributions are being turned away. OH development is extremely slow, mainly due to being a dictatorship (kaiHAB). When enough developers are ignored, blocked, or mistreated, the result and solution is a fork. That will mean the death of OH, but it will also be the birth of another project with a better means of managing, supporting and leading the contributors, and more opportunity for the user community. Stay tuned!

The old rule engine was planned to be removed, but the fate of rules DSL was unknown. Any information about that in the forum was premature. There were some incorrect posts about it and I did my best to correct them, which led to this…

What/whose posts are saying that the DSL was going to be removed? Keep in mind, the old rule engine is NOT the rules DSL… they are two different things.

That is incorrect. Worst case, you will need to manually install a Jython and helper library add-ons. Best case, my add-ons get merged. Unless you are a developer or masochist, don’t jump on OH3 until 3.1.

No! Jython is leagues beyond the DSL, and if you don’t think so, then you are not using it right! You migrated, saved a lot of headaches, gained performance, and can do much more than any other scripting language currently available. Wait until OH3 is released and you will hear the screams!

2 Likes