Blank inbox?

Ubuntu 16.04, Openhab new install. Have installed 2 bindings, network and zwave. Using PaperUI, but the “inbox” is blank. Control, Inbox, Configuration, Add-ons and Preferences is down lefthand side, and there is an orange bar across the main frame that has “inbox” in it, but the rest of the browser display is simply blank. The tutorials indicate I should have some “search” and “add” functionality on there. I can find no errors in the logs.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

When you click on Inbox you should have a little radio antenna looking icon in the upper right hand corner. When you click on that it should give you a choice of bindings and then go discover all the discover able Things for that binding.

I can’t tell from your description exactly what you are seeing.

No icon at upper right. Im lost…

What version of OH are you using? There was a recent snapshot that broke PaperUI. Its fixed in the latest snapshot.

I appear to be running 2.0.0-1

When you go to configuration do you find entries there? Do you find your installed bindings in the services submenu of configuration? If you go back to addons and browse to the ones you think are installed, do they actually show as being installed? Are there errors in your logs?

[quote=“rlkoshak, post:6, topic:28412, full:true”]
When you go to configuration do you find entries there?[/quote]
Yes.

No, only BasicUI and Habpanel

Yes.

none in /var/log/openhab2/events.log or openhab.log. These logs seem very minimal, like:
> 2017-05-07 19:36:07.299 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start

2017-05-07 20:42:40.782 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped dashboard
2017-05-13 12:09:54.764 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start
2017-05-14 17:17:12.684 [INFO ] [panel.internal.HABPanelDashboardTile] - Started HABPanel at /habpanel
2017-05-14 17:17:12.733 [INFO ] [arthome.ui.paper.internal.PaperUIApp] - Started Paper UI at /paperui
2017-05-14 17:17:12.820 [INFO ] [basic.internal.servlet.WebAppServlet] - Started Basic UI at /basicui/app
2017-05-15 09:47:04.981 [INFO ] [ore.internal.i18n.LocaleProviderImpl] - Locale set to en_US
2017-05-17 09:18:26.776 [INFO ] [panel.internal.HABPanelDashboardTile] - Stopped HABPanel
2017-05-17 09:18:26.779 [INFO ] [arthome.ui.paper.internal.PaperUIApp] - Stopped Paper UI
2017-05-17 09:18:26.788 [INFO ] [basic.internal.servlet.WebAppServlet] - Stopped Basic UI
2017-05-17 09:18:26.793 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped dashboard
2017-05-17 09:19:19.138 [INFO ] [ore.internal.i18n.LocaleProviderImpl] - Locale set to en_US
2017-05-17 09:19:24.692 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start
2017-05-17 09:19:25.070 [INFO ] [basic.internal.servlet.WebAppServlet] - Started Basic UI at /basicui/app
2017-05-17 09:19:25.206 [INFO ] [arthome.ui.paper.internal.PaperUIApp] - Started Paper UI at /paperui
2017-05-17 09:19:25.317 [INFO ] [panel.internal.HABPanelDashboardTile] - Started HABPanel at /habpanel

I appreciate your time and attention in trying to help the newb figure out what is wrong…

Then that is your problem. You need to install the addons.

Your reverse proxy trial didn’t work out perfectly :slight_smile: (you forgot to mention this in the first post… :blush:)

I see the url (from your screenshot) that you are using another path (openhab):

http://<Proxy>/openhab/paperui/index.html#/openhab/inbox/search

This is not the “standard” one… :stuck_out_tongue: (http://<IP>:8080/paperui/index.html#/inbox/search)

Press F12 in your Firefox browser to bring up the debug console to see what might be wrong and try to fix (if possible) your Apache reverse proxy configs.

We know that changing the path prefix is a PITA… I wouldn’t use this method…

1 Like

In the add-ons, it shows the network binding and the zwave binding as installed.

[quote=“Dim, post:9, topic:28412, full:true”]This is not the “standard” one… :stuck_out_tongue: (http://<IP>:8080/paperui/index.html#/inbox/search)

Press F12 in your Firefox browser to bring up the debug console to see what might be wrong and try to fix (if possible) your Apache reverse proxy configs.
[/quote]

This means I have something wankered in my rewrite rules?

RewriteEngine On
            RewriteRule "/openhab/openhab/(.*)" "/openhab/$1" [R,L]
            RewriteRule "/openhab/?(.*)" "http://localhost:8080/$1" [P,L]
            ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080
            ProxyHTMLEnable On
            RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding
            AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE text/html
            AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE text/css
            AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE application/javascript
            AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE application/json
            Substitute "s|/basicui/|/openhab/basicui/|n"
            Substitute "s|/rest/|/openhab/rest/|n"
            Substitute "s|'/rest'|'/openhab/rest'|n"
            Substitute "s|/paperui/|/openhab/paperui/|n"
            Substitute "s|/inbox/|/openhab/inbox/|n"
            Substitute "s|/icon/|/openhab/icon/|n"
            Substitute "s|http://|https://|n"

I must admit to being lost in what these rules are doing, but from your post I would think that I have an extra “/openhab” in all of the lines, but it wont seem to work without it.

A guess here…the path in the CSS is looking for /js/variousstuff.js and this doesnt seem to be in the rewrite rules, so, for example, in the paperui inbox, the /js/search.filters.js is not being found by the browser, is this my problem?

I would say yes…

Unfortunately, I can’t help you too much here… Try removing the Substitute rule Substitute "s|/inbox/|/openhab/inbox/|n"

I’ve never been able to get reverse proxy substitutions to work. I can’t help with that problem.

OK. I give up. It will be a couple weeks before I can get the FW changed to pass through the direct openhab port. Thanks for everyone’s help…

Have you looked at myopenHAB?

I (who wrote the “Apache 2 reverse-proxy…” tutorial) never used the “Inbox”, so far (my configuration is completely manual). I assume that the “Inbox” uses other paths that are not yet rewritten to contain the “openhab/”-path-prefix. Hence, the problem is very likely not that substitute-rules are wrong, but that substitute-rules are missing.

As already stated in my tutorial: It totally sucks that OH does not support a path-prefix. Thus, all paths of the various OH-components need to be rewritten individually – which is easily incomplete.

Unfortunately, I can’t check this “Inbox” right now, because I’m on a 2 month business trip. I’m going to take a look at it, when I come back.

And @OH-team: You really should add a path-prefix! Even a hard-coded path-prefix would be better than none, because rewriting e.g. */openhab/* would be far easier than rewriting dozens of individual paths!

1 Like

I agree with you Marco :slight_smile: I support your PR for this.

btw: I am not a heavy user of mod_rewrite & mod_substitute, so I don’t know much about the rules :blush:

So it sounds to me like I need to contrive a rule that would rewrite what is quoted above to result in:

/openhab/paperui/index.html#/inbox/search

It looks to me like

Substitute “s|html#/openhab/|html#/|n”

should work, but it has no apparent effect. I guess I gotta go study how the substitution rules work…