Blank Screen After Install on Raspbian

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 5
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk 17.0.0
    • openHAB version: Preparing to unpack …/openhab_4.2.0~S4010-1_all.deb … Unpacking openhab (4.2.0~S4010-1)
  • Issue of the topic: Fresh install of raspbian, literally empty other than that, no, sorry, apart from java. Then followed instructions here under the apt-get section:

Starting wiht the curl command to download the repo keys and things
ultimately working through to:
sudo apt-get install openhab-addons

And then setting up the service and launching with:

sudo systemctl start openhab.service
sudo systemctl status openhab.service

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable openhab.service

There weren’t any errors, lots of positive sounding things

(but with ip address)

What I see is an empty page. The site redirects to /overview and it shows the little mini site icon in the tab, and it names it ‘openHab’, so I think that means I’m getting through any firewalls and the webservice that openHab serves its app on is running.

The page source is rather slim:
<!doctype html>openHAB<link rel=“apple-touch-icon” href="[/res/icons/apple-touch-icon.png]<removed, forum says no>type=“image/png” sizes=“180x180” crossorigin=“use-credentials”>

Thats the whole page, but maybe thats normal if the app is contained entirely in the js.

• Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
      I haven’t setup any items or anything, I only just installed it.
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
      Just the ‘home’ page.
    • Rules code related to the issue
      Dont know what this is
    • Services configuration related to the issue
      This either, haven’t got this far I think.
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
    Very happy to get some logs if anyone can advise where to find appropriate ones.

Website inspector says two errors:

GET http://192.168.1.74:8080/overview 404 (Not Found)

app.732ac2bb862617fa6f95.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘digest’)
at a (app.732ac2bb862617fa6f95.js:1:367)
at Module.o (app.732ac2bb862617fa6f95.js:1:708)
at app.3f36b13a46dd5a79bca0.js:2:1170487

Wild speculation based on just the name ‘overview’, but that sounds like something that would be loaded AFTER login, so perhaps it thinks someone has logged in (I haven’t) and then it redirects but cant load the page. Absolute pure speculation based on almost nothing.

Any advice very welcome!

Just to add, where it says (but with ip address) I put the link that the instructions say to load, but the forum strips out hyperlinks for new users, I stripped them out from any other bits swapping for but got lazy and just deleted that one, waiting for the forum to allow the post and then suddenly it posted it. What I originally wrote was:

then I loaded http://openhab-device:8080 (only with the ip address)

I wrote that just to make it clear that I’m just trying to load the post install page which is apparently supposed to be a login screen. It auto redirects to /overview

Ah, I see, square brackets get their contents removed, so, for the third time: where there were hyperlinks in my original post I had swpped them with LESS-THAN-SIGN forum says no GREATER-THAN-SIGN, but all of these got stripped out, so even my explanation of why some of my original post looks odd, also had its bits stripped out and I didn’t understand that was happening. A ‘preview’ option would be handy to avoid this. Anywho, if my original post looks odd, then just assume there was a link, mostly in the html code of the page that is shown.

Why don’t you use openHABian? Just select the image from inside Raspi imager.

Because the Pi isn’t physically where I am right now. Unless there is a way to image a pi remotely? I’ll go look that up. If not, I can try again in a few days with an openHabian image, just figured that a recent raspbian image with java 17 should be fine to use with apt-get. Given that there are no errors from apt, I figured there would be some interest in why I was just getting a blank screen and someone would know where the relevant logs are to see whats happening. But… its not urgent and I can just use a fully built image I guess.