Blockly Reference

Thanks to you feedback, Danny.

Did you read this thread Extending Blockly with new openhab commands ? I think most of it has been discussed there. No offense here (maybe you weren’t aware of it) but it would have been better to discuss that before we were actually releasing it. Changing it later could break people’s rules that are using it already or at least confuse them.

Anyway

• What’s the point of the ‘get item’ block, where’s the difference to the ‘item’ block?
    • the item block is only a wrapper for an item name which is actually used by the get item, which returns the whole item which can be used as follows

• Why is ‘get state of item’ a separate block, given one can also get the state with the ‘get item name’ block (which may be better named as ‘get item property’)?
    • this was already available and we cannot remove it. The one I depicted above was added later by me and is more generic
  • Isn’t ‘thread sleep’ a bit too technical given the target audience? I would rather suggest naming it ‘Wait for … ms’ or ‘Delay by … ms’
    • yes, true, I was thinking about that lately but it was already released. If it was only a renaming of the label then that could be easily changed but may confuse people. Rich, what do you think?
  • What’s the difference between ‘timer is active’ and ‘timer is running’? Should the former be ‘timer is scheduled’?
    • please see the help URL of the block that links to the exact description of the above. It is actually a difference.
  • The notifications category wraps the cloud messages, I assume? If so, is the info/warning/… selection the same as the ‘severity’ in the API? If so, consider making it a free-form field?
    • The class that is used is this one and the explanation is here. So you might be right but now after having it released it would break the block-“API”, I would say.

Any additional thoughts, @rlkoshak

Don’t hesitate to join the discussion in the main thread while I am about to implement new blocks as it is better to jump in at that point. :+1: