Bluetooth with openhabian on a Raspberry Pi 3

So, I’m completely new and completely lost. I have openhabian running on a Pi 3. I want to use Bluetooth for presence detection and Im totally lost. I’ve searched the forums and not been able to figure out what I’m supposed to do. Does anybody have this working that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

yeah i’m trying to figure this out too. What i found were some old discussions with general “omg forget it it’s too difficult in linux because of something and drivers, do it some other way” tho pi 3 bluetooth should be common and very specific with drivers etc, and most, i guess, do put openhab on pi 3 nowdays.
And while openhab community is saying “omg it’s too difficult forget it” - Homeassistant that i tried, worked with bluetooth presence like a piece of cake. Noticing all kinds of bluetooth devices and offering those to be added - also on rasbian jesse pi 3…

what gives?

I’ve been trying to get this going too, and I’ve got the Pi detecting devices. Haven’t tried using it in openhab yet, that looks like it will be possible in the next release.

This thread got me most of the way there, but I could only scan using sudo.

This Stack Exchange thread got me the rest of the way.

The basics steps are:

sudo apt-get install -y bluez python-bluez python-dev libbluetooth-dev raspberrypi-sys-mods
sudo apt-get install -y pi-bluetooth
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin

Once those steps were done, I was able to use

hcitool lescan