BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW i3

Hi,

I’m currently implementing a Binding for BMW ConnectedDrive in order to bring my i3 into openhab. I did some research and I found these 2 posts.

https://community.openhab.org/t/binding-for-bmw-i3/19295
https://community.openhab.org/t/script-to-access-the-bmw-connecteddrive-portal-via-oh/37345

Both instructions are working quite fine and I started implementig the binding based on the above work. Authorization works fine and I’m receiving data - looks good! After looking deeper into the above solutions I saw different REST APIs were used for ConnectedDrive.

I would say both are delivering the same information. With api/vehicle I receive german text e.g. for the next service, webapi delivers english text.

Does anyone has an advice or knowledge which one to use? Perhaps one is newer and has a brighter future :slight_smile:

Any advice is helpful!
Thanks

Hi @weymann,

If you‘re going to implement a binding from scratch by yourself, have a look at https://github.com/bimmerconnected/bimmer_connected

It is the best maintained lib I know of right know.

Hi @peter_juenger,

yes, I’ve found this repository too and it looks well maintained. I placed same question yesterday as an issue. I hope I’ll get a response.

I received feedback to my issue at bimmer-connected project. The API to be used is clarified and I’ll take the same API as used in their project. With this approach we are relying on the same concept and also same test data can be used.

Hi Bernd,

did you solved the authentication issue and finished a binding for openhab?
I tried to adopt the bmwcdapi to new auth method - but failed…

There are currently serious problems regarding authorization. Also bimmer_connected project need some adaptions.
My latest adaptions shall do the trick also!

for OH2 is working like a charm, any plan to migrate over OH3 in the near future? thanks!

@ntruchsess started in parallel this work on OH3. Unfortunately I’ve still trouble in the official review but nevertheless you can use the precompiled bundle from Norbert with the ChargeProfile changes.

1 Like

Hello Bernd,

I was using your binding with openhab 2.5 and it was working like a charm (openhabian on Raspi 4).

Yesterday I upgraded to OH3, downloaded the version 3.1 of your binding (newest version) and placed it into this folder:

/usr/share/openhab/addons/

The problem is that the binding is not working anymore - all my items are on status “NULL”:

Is there something else I need to do, while upgrading from OH 2.5 to OH 3?

Thank you,
Mario

I suggest to start checking the Thing. One finding from the official review is that Thing identifiers shall not be upper case. So Things definition changed from e.g. BEV_REX to bev_rex.

So if your Thing Status is offline try this first.

Hello! Thanks for your reply.

I found the problem and fixed it?

I was getting the .jar file direclty on openhabian with SSH command “wget”.
This was leading to the problem that the BMW binding was not available.

Now I created a new Samba share to be able to copy the .jar file directly with windows explorer into the SAME folder and it´s working now!

Thank for the advice regarding lower case definition in the things file. Everything is up and running again in OH3.

Br, Mario

1 Like