Booting Android tablet directly into fullscreen HABpanel

I wonder how hard it is to modify an android tablet to run without the internal battery, I’m not entirely comfortable bolting several cheap android tablets to a wooden wall in case the battery catches on fire…

That SiBo tablet looked nice but seems to require cutting a giant hole in the wall to mount it flush, that’s not really an option for me.

Before the Sibo I did open couple of the cheapo tablet to solder in magnets for mounting, and power transfer. (As I’m alergic to dangling power cable)
In all cases it would be quite easy just to cut the battery, away and I expect they would work just fine on power cable alone.

FYI Sibo does not have a battery at all.

1 Like

Who do you get the tablets from and how much are you paying on average? Trying to compare these vs $50/fire + mounting.

Also, have your tried doing a reset, I’m not sure I trust Android devices coming from China with the whole iOT botnet stuff going around.

On Alibaba so they are chinese to the core, as for the malware on them it just matter of monitoring the firewall if all the connections from the panel to the internet are those you expect. And after initial update of chrome I do not even think they need internet access at all.

1 Like

Hi there,

On the google app store there’s an app called fullscreenbrowser which including with the kiosk functionality does the trick for me on my tablet.

Pim

1 Like

Checkout this app, I think it may be close to what you are looking for. Built for the same reasons, etc.

@miker I havent checked out the code but are you rendering the pages or is it simply a webview?

It is using the webview component to display the habpanel UI. It is effectively a kiosk app/utility specifically built around habpanel. (it theoretically could be used to display any web page. with some slight modifications on start page parameters).

I want to personally thank you for having those 2 small Android apps developed and posting this situation. I’ve been struggling with the problems you posted since May 2018 and you have solved them!

Best, Jay

great you find them usefull, there is an app being developed now Habpanel Viewer with some additional funcionality but unfortunately on my old tablets it does not work so i still use those 2 tiny apps.

regards
Maciej