Busch-Jaeger Zigbee Light Link control element stops working

Hi Sebastiaan,

thanks for the link of Zigbee/WLAN interferences. I was not aware of this post and the information provided is really great.

Yes, there should be also an upgrade tool available for Mac but unfortunately I do not have a special account and just have the information BJ support gave me. They should be able to provide you with the link for the Mac tool and the information about the required Zigbee LL Stick.

After having re-configured all WLAN Hotports according to “Zigbee and WiFi Coexistence”, I am still experiencing the following failure symptoms/error are:

• control element “freezes”: no connection to control element and connected lamp does not react
  • control element looses connection, LEDs flashing 6 times: no connection to control element possible
  • control element itself does work, e.g. connected lamp can be controlled but element is not reachable by other control elements and/or not reachable by hue bridge

Firmware of control elements is v1.2. Anyone who experienced similar problems?

Hello,
i have exactly the same issues. From time to time the BJ needs to be reseted by pulling them out of the wall :frowning:
Right now i build two new houses and just ordered 22 Light Links … hope this issue can be fixed.
I‘m that i found that threat and will contact BJ on Monday.
Not only telling them, i‘m not alone … in addition to that i will ask for that firmware update as some of my BJ still using firmware 1.0

Hi Udo,

do you experience all the issues described above, or just some?

• control element “freezes”: no connection to control element and connected lamp does not react
  • control element looses connection, LEDs flashing 6 times: no connection to control element possible
  • control element itself does work, e.g. connected lamp can be controlled but element is not reachable by other control elements and/or not reachable by hue bridge

In the meanwhile, BJ analyzed the ZigBee traffic of my installation and found some network/address conflicts. Therefore BJ asked me to reset and reconfigure the whole network. I did so last Sunday. Let’s see if this helps at least for some of the issues …

Hi,

I also have this problem. From time to time the Plug needs to be pulled out the wall. With FW 1.0 there was also an problem combined with Osram Lightify Plugs.
I´ve just 6710Us in my setup. It seems, that the Osram plug needs to be newly programmed to the 6710U. Other Hue bulbs works properly. Restarting the switches by pulling them out of the wall doesn`t work.
With FW 1.2 this error was eleminated. Just from time to time I have to restart the 6710U. The problem effects just 2 or 3 of 5 switches ( but never more than 1 every few weeks).

In this time Id also changed my hue bridge (from version 1 to version 2) with a fresh zigbee network. Didnt changed anything!

@Falk Thank you for the new manuals. Ive searched for the new dimming feature but didnt find it on my own!

Hello,

I wanted to update my BJ control elements to version 1.2 as well but can not find anything on the needed USB stick. Can this just be any Zigbee USB Stick or must it be one from BJ? Does someone have a product ID? Where did you buy it?

For the mention problem: control element that stop working.
I have one (out of four) such control element that hangs from time to time, it works fine for weeks or even months and then it stop working, after reseating it in the wall switch it works again. Lately I moved my Wifi AP further away (for other reasons), since then it did not crash yet. The other three switches never had a hang so far.

Regards

I did reset my Zigbee network but do experience the same problems as before. I am in contact with BJ and they are still searching for the cause of the problems. They do have problems to simulate the issues in their test environment. So, wherever you may have any hint when or why a specific issue is been triggered, please post here!

@Lars: I suggest to not waste time with the Osram Plugs … to my experience they do have a severe range problem and I replaced them by “Paul Neuhaus” switches (e.g. available here). My experience after some weeks is very positive: they are much more reliable, design is nice, have this extra night light (which I don’t use) and are in the same price range as Osram’s. Also my hue bridge likes them more than the ones made by Osram. Only con is their relay unit is somewhat louder … no problem for me, I prefer stability.

@Otto: part number for the Zigbee Stick is 6710-0-0009. It’s called “USB-Stick for ZLL updates”. I did not find this in BJ’s online catalog though. You may need to request this device via their hotline directly. My assumption is this device is the only one that enables BJ FW updates for their Zigbee devices. In case you find any other device, please let us know.

I am still in close contact with BJ to support them in fixing the issues described in this thread. I expect new info end of this month.

Hi I have problems with my controls 6735 in connections with the UP-inserts 6710 and 6711, 6715. My ZigBee router is from Dresden electronics. The lighting system consists of GU10 OSRAM, Philips and IKEA, as well as from Dresden - electronics. After I have updated the FW from 1.0 to 1.2 you can save any scenes, it works only the dimmer function. I can while the router that controls see but you can half controls the lights connect only that which UP no matter and then only dimming.

Quick question about the Update Stick:

• How much did it cost?
  • How did you got it?

Thanks a lot

hi jens I got the update stick from BJ for free

Hi Folks, I am having same issue with my installation. First of all, thank you for the hints, I will get into contact with BJ Support to be prepared for FW fixes on the issues.

One question I have with you guys:
Within your home setup, is there anywhere a PowerLan in use?

Thanks

@Uwe_Janzen: Yes, 3 Devolo dLan 200 and a dLAN 500 device.
Do you have any hints that this may cause problems with the BJ control elements?

No prove, just guts feeling.

approx 8 Months back, I switched from old 80 Mbit Powerlan (these broke) to TPLINK Powerlan (500 MBit) adapters. Since then, I am experiencing these freezes on the BJ Elements, which I have in operation since more than one year.

I know it sounds weird. However, Powerline is known to cause interference on short range radio. I wonder whether there might be further implications such as modulation impacts on the wired adapters.

Unfortunately, I was not able to kick out the Powerlan, as I need it for a central purpose. If there are more people using powerlan and experiencing this issue, I will give it a shot to replace these with proper cabling to see if it helps.

one additional information.

I also have one of the battery driven wallswitches (6736/01-8x).
I havent experienced freezes with that since i put it into operation (6 Months back).

Hi Falk,

I was wondering if there has been any relevant conclusion or even solution as a result of BJ’s visit last year? I have not been able to reach Susanne Ackermann by phone neither did she respond to any of my mails.

Can you confirm that the developers did integrate any improvement in a new software update for our devices?

Kind regards,

Sebastiaan Vermeulen
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Hi Sebastiaan,

it is still under investigation … as a matter of fact, BJ was not able to identify the problem so far. Therefore no new firmware available until now.
There is no single reason obvious so far. It seems to be related to interaction of several devices. This helped to increase stability:

• BJ exchanged 4 out 16 devices
  • Hue firmware update
  • I did set up another (additional) hue bridge and divided the network into two. That helped a lot and led to increased stability so far. I am now slowly enlarging the second network.

As already mentioned, there is no obvious single root cause but a serious of actions I take right now. Since the problems seem to be with BJ devices only (opposed to Philipps hue), there should be (firmware) solution available. Never the less, this is not in sight right now.

Hi,

I have several battery driven Busch-Jaeger 6736/01-84 switches.
Had a frozen device once, but after reconfiguring no problem since now.

I do have some issues with configuring the dim scenes with serveral philips hue light sources.
From the beginning:

• I insert battery, reset with both top buttons pressed 5 seconds, then press both top buttons once.
  • Search for new lamp in Philips Hue app, both leds flash a few seconds.
  • Search for active devices: press both top buttons 5 seconds, then press right top button once, waiting until it stops flashing after 2-3 minutes. (tried with lights on and off)
  • After that, turn on lights for the scene, press the right button 10 seconds until flashing. Wait a few minutes and then press both left and right button once (dim scene), leds flash a few seconds.

Then I try the scene, with 4 Philips Hue lamps, sometimes 1 light will go on, sometimes 2, but it is hard to configure the scene with all four light sources, I have to try again and again and again and with good luck sometimes I will have all light sources configured in the scene.

Also resetting the dim scene by pressing the right button for 10 seconds until flashing, then press the right button again doesn’t work.

Can someone explain what i’m doing wrong?

Best Regards,
Edwin

Don’t understand why you are doing this. This should not be required since you’ve reset the device already with your 1st step and connected it to the network with your 2nd step.

Everything else seems ok for me, but

Wait a few minutes and then press both left and right button once (dim scene)

a few seconds (e.g. 20) should be enough. Then just press left and right together at the same time once.

I have seen this problem with the old firmware (where no dimming was possible) but not with the new firmware yet. Any specifics about the lamps?

Hi Falk,

Thanks for your reply.

In the manual, there is a step called network scan, I do this after reset and connect with the Hue Brige, maybe this is only necesarry with battery switches?

Performing a network scan

1. Keep both buttons of the top rocker (E) pressed.
    – The LEDs flash alternately. The LEDs light up permanently red after approx. 5 seconds.
  2. Release both buttons of the top rocker (E).
    – The device is in programming mode
  3. Again press the right button of the top rocker longer than 2 seconds.
    – Once the network participants have been recognized, the LEDs of the top rocker flicker.
    When all participants have been found, the LEDs light up once.

About youre last note, I wait a few minutes/more then 20 seconds because I thought maybe the switch see all lights then.

I’m now trying one dim scene with 5x Philips Hue White Ambiance E14, and the other scene 2x Philips Hue White E27. No luck at all, every time not all 5 E14 light are active in the scene.

It’s right that I don’t have battery driven control elements. But given the german description in the manual, the function described enables other devices to connect to this specific control element. To my understanding this is required in case you don’t have a hue bridge but define your Zigbee network via a BJ control element. Then pressing the key combination is an equivalent to “find lamps” in the hue app.
I don’t think that this is needed in your case since you have your Zigbee network defined by the hue bridge. The BJ control element already joined this network.
What about just giving it a try without this step?