Can someone help me understand the difference (orthogonal vs. askew) in these charts - persistence? oh version? settings?

Hey everyone,

I have 2 openhab installations running that both utilize the Shelly H&T Plus wifi sensor. Since the sensor is trying to save as much battery as possible, data is only sent intermittent.

So here is the difference between the two installations. The only thing that is apparent to me are these two differences, (OH version and Persistence Binding…). Maybe there are other changes that I can dive into.

Difference one: Appearance: only looks rectangular and one looks like direct connections between the data points:

openHAB 4.1.1 using InfluxDB

openHAB 3.4.4 using RRD4j

Difference two: Tooltip: In one chart I can always see all data points’ values and in the other I need to chase the points in the chart to find out the value.

openHAB 4.1.1 using InfluxDB

openHAB 3.4.4 using RRD4j

If someone can nudge me in the direction where the difference stems from it would be really appreciated.

If there is more data/configuration required I will gladly provide it.

Many thanks in advance!

I don’t believe there are any significant chart changes between 3.4 and 4.1. I’m sure the difference in chart shape is the persistence, and more specifically the persistence strategies being used. There have been some changes in how persisted data is sent to some services, but my guess this has more to do with the rrd4j and how it needs highly periodic data.

I don’t use tooltips a lot some I’m not sure about that issue, but my guess is that it is based on the axes the data are in, not the chart. So in one graph all your line are grouped in one axis (and thus show up on the same tooltip) in the other chart they are not.

Hey JustinG,

thank you for your reply. You were indeed correct that the rrd4j standard configuration has this .persist config:

Strategies {
    // for rrd charts, we need a cron strategy
    everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
}

Items {
    // persist items on every change and every minute
    * : strategy = everyChange, everyMinute
}

So after adding that exact config as influxdb.persist under $OPENHAB_CONF/persistence/

the gap ALMOST vanished :wink:

Here you can see it in action: https://www.sendspace.com/file/0s57y3

The persistance change happened halfway through, but still the tooltips are all over the place for some strange reason.

I stumbled upon this as well: Could it be that some wizardry regarding linking tooltips via axis has to be set? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75191226/how-can-i-have-common-tooltip-for-a-grid-in-apache-echart

Yes, that is what I mentioned about the series not being on the same axis. You can sue the solution provided in that link in OH, you just add the axisPointer configuration in the options at the top of the chart page like this:

config:
  chartType: ""
  period: w
  label: Chart Label
  options:
    axisPointer:
      link:
        xAxisIndex: all
slots:
1 Like