Can someone set me straight on network bindings?

(Lee Mueller) #1

I feel that I need to preface this, I am new to openhab, home automation, linux and asking questions in forums. This being said, if I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologize.

I have jumped into a home automation project and have successfully turned a SONOFF into box fan controller which turns itself on and off. Kind of a big deal for me being brand new to all of this.

For my next project I want to do some presence detection to control a front door lock. I have installed the network binding and have been following the tutorial here:

When I try to detect my phone from the paperui, nothing is found, not a single ip address on the network.
I have looked around and found many different answers, such as: add the manually, keep trying with the appropriate wifi settings on my phone and even the network binding is broken do to a bug carry over form 2.3. (Oh I am running 2.4).

So my question is, what is up? Is the binding really broken? If someone would be willing to teach me what is going, point me to info I have not or even just throw a little guidance my way so that I can keep moving I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

(Kris K) #2

Is your phone pingable from a PC on your network? Is your OpenHab server on the same network as that PC and your Phone?

If its all on the same network, you should see items inside the PaperUI Inbox with Network Binding devices that have been found.

Have you also set the Primary Address in PaperUI under SYSTEM for your network?

More information is available here:

(Rich Koshak) #3

@muellercandd, the Network binding in general is working, but this one part of the binding is currently broken. The scan Kris describes would normally work but I believe it has been broken at least between OH version 2.4 release and 2.5 Milestone 1.

So when you say

I’m assuming you are doing a scan from the Inbox. And unfortunately that part is the broken part.

You can create the Thing manually though. Go to the Inbox, click the + and choose Network from the list. Fill out all the appropriate information. NOTE: You will want to configure your router to always give your phone the same IP address, or configure your phone with a static IP address.

(Lee Mueller) #4

Thank you for the replies. So yes I am doing a scan from the inbox and not finding anything. I just pinged my phone from my pc and it works.I have also set my network in openhab be the same as my raspberry pi’s ip address that is running openhab, is that what was meant by :

Have you also set the Primary Address in PaperUI under SYSTEM for your network?

So plan to try and enter this manually but would like some clarification first;

Name: I can make this what ever I would like, correct?

Thing ID: this has already been populated, do I need to change it, should I change it, does it need to be different than the Name?

Host name or IP: It would seem redundant to have my phones IP address twice so I am guessing one of these most be different?

Do I need to or should I change anything under the configuration parameters?

(anonymous.one) #5

I try to keep names and thingIDs consistent in my setup (everyone has their own preferences), I like to know if its phoneA vs phoneB from troubleshooting I know which thing I’m troubleshooting.

Location is used for other purposes within OH, I’ve never filled that field out for my things.

I suggest IP address for the time being, until you get more hands on experience with OH & Linux you are taking a large leap into a pool and I applaud your enthusiastic approach! :wink:

(Rich Koshak) #6

Yes, but try to use meaningful names.

I do recommend changing it. Again, use something meaningful. It does not need to be different from the Name.

No, this will control where the Thing will appear in the Control tab in PaperUI. Honestly, I just ignore it. It really isn’t meaningful outside of PaperUI and the Control tab in PaperUI isn’t all that useful.

Here is where you put the IP or hostname.

Only if you want to change how often it pings the phone or stuff like that. You can always come back and change those parameters later.

(Lee Mueller) #7

Thank you for all of you help. I have been able to add my and phone see it in the paperui. When my phone is connected to the the wifi a slider turns to the “ON” position, when it is not connected the slider turns to “OFF”. I would say it is work the way it should. Now I just need to determine how I want to wright my rules.

I just wanted to add, in case someone else looks at this. The Things ID, does like to have spaces in it. Maybe this is coding 101 but it took bit to figure that one out. I kept getting an error every time I had a space in it.

Thanks again

(Rich Koshak) #8

Start here: