Cannot delegate update 'ON' for item

• Platform information:

• Hardware: RPi 3
    • Java Runtime Environment: _openhabian build
    • openHAB version: 2
  • Issue of the topic:
    I’m trying to add 2 items to show if they are present on the network. I’m using the Network Binding.
    But the values I see on the console are all wrong. It shows devices are on the network when they are not, I cannot get the ping times to show, neither the “last seen” values. I’ve tried “number” and “string” in my config but it makes no difference.

Here is my config:

In sitemap, I just refer to the group
Group item=grp_devices label=“Network Devices” icon=“esp8266” (I made my own icon)

In items

Switch Thing1 “Thing1” (grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing1:online” }
Number Thing1ResponseTime “Ping time” (grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing1:latency” }
// DateTime 1LastSeen (grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing1:lastseen” } (commented for troubleshooting)

String Thing2 “Thing2” (grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing2:online” }
String Thing2ResponseTime “Ping time”(grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing2:latency” }
// DateTime 2LastSeen (grp_devices) { channel=“network:pingdevice:Thing2:lastseen” } (commented for troubleshooting)

Things:

network:pingdevice:Thing1 [ hostname=“192.168.0.19”, timeout=2000, refreshInterval=10000 ]
network:pingdevice:Thing2 [ hostname=“192.168.0.20”, timeout=2000, refreshInterval=10000 ]

This is the log output.

2017-11-13 19:43:19.433 [WARN ] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Cannot delegate update ‘115.482537’ for item ‘Thing2ResponseTime’ to handler for channel ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2:latency’, because no thing with the UID ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2’ could be found.
2017-11-13 19:43:29.314 [WARN ] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Cannot delegate update ‘ON’ for item ‘Thing2’ to handler for channel ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2:online’, because no thing with the UID ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2’ could be found.
2017-11-13 19:43:29.320 [WARN ] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Cannot delegate update ‘5.238609’ for item ‘Thing2ResponseTime’ to handler for channel ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2:latency’, because no thing with the UID ‘network:pingdevice:Thing2’ could be found.

I’ve tried so many options, I’m driving myself crazy. I’ve tried also to config via PaperUI, without any success.
I also would like to see if two iPhones are on the network, but that is later, for now I want to ping two ESP8266 relays to see if they go down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(i’m not 100% sure which version I’m running but I downloaded the image a few weeks ago)
Thanks in advance

Try to open the Karaf console and check with “smarthome:things list” if the things you have in the file are really in the system.
To open console read here (http://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html)
Use those commands (http://docs.openhab.org/administration/runtime.html#things)

Concerning network binding I had the same problem. There seems to be a bug in the documentation.
For me “network:device:mint17” works, but not “network:pingdevice:mint17”!
To verify this definition, you might use PAPER-UI to construct a thing, where you can see the above structure…
Hope,I could help you

Thanks, your idea helped, I can now see the devices “online” and it works as predicted. Still not getting the “Last seen” or “Response time” will give that a go, but a step in the right direction thanks Matthias.

thanks, you have opened a whole new world of troubleshooting. Thanks. Using this a bit to dig through some other issues I have also.
Thanks Jurgen!