Can't access the site on android using the hostname

Hey
I used wireshark’s sshdump + PCAP Remote to get this:

do you know why wireshark shows that my ip is 10.1.10.1 while my local IPs are 192.168.*?
connecting to the sshserver on my pc as well, I connected to IP 192.168.1.25 and not 10.1.10.1

I dont know where is there a manual… but not much in these pages:
setup is for settings ip and mask for the router,
release/renew wan lease,
set wan connection type: static,dhcp, l2tp, ipv4 mtu size
dhcp is for settings: Starting Local Address, Number of CPEs, Lease Time, static IPs by MAC
and displays DHCP clients

is there any difference in how your Windows PCs, openhab host and android phone appear in display DHCP clients ?

As far as I understand this is because of the VPNService that is used on the Android phone to be able to capture the data.
Again it is a problem of the DNS server that is being used. It queries the internet’s DNS server and not your router.

Please try the following:

• go to the WiFi / wireless icon
  • do a long tap on the current connection
  • there should be two choices
  • select the that says something like manage network connection
  • tap on show advanced options
  • change from DHCP to static
  • set DNS1 to your routers IP address
  • set DNS2 to your internet providers IP address
  • ( that most probably means change DNS1 <=> DNS2 )
  • save settings
  • now openhabian should be resolved
  • in case something does not work reverse the initial change back from static to DHCP ( all other settings should be received from DHCP server again )

Nope, both look the same

after doing it the internet worked fine but still no openhabian…

could you do one more packet capture that shows if your router is being asked to resolve the DNS query ?
Besides that I am out of further ideas ( at lest for the moment ).

It didnt
I didnt see request to 192.168.1.1 for the dns, only the public network…
Thanks anyway!, i learned a lot

1 Like

So the problem is not the Android device but the connection sharing causing specific problems with DNS resolution! This is something very special, seldom used these days, and I fear there will be only very few people with deeper knowledge who could help you with this. If you want to stay with this connection sharing you could try to implement a local DNS-Server experimenting with adding this openhabian.nshome.net manually with the correct IP.

No. This is not the problem as the connection sharing just was used to be able to capture the network traffic by using wireshark on PC and capturing the traffic that passes through the windows PC.

The problem is the router that seem not to do DNS resolution for the local network. See sniffed network traffic.
The windows computer seems to use mDNS instead of DNS requests to the local router.

Nevertheless setting up a local DNS server should/would help.

Based on the digging you’ve all done, it sounds like it probably was a router change that enabled my Android tablet to resolve local host names.

@Sagi_Cohen If you don’t want to get a new router, you could try using Pi-Hole for DNS resolution. However, I’m not sure if it will be any better.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/dns-resolver/

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.