Can't Even get started

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Core 2 Duo/8GB/500GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: Oracle Java 1.8.0_161-b12
    • openHAB version: 2.2
  • Issue of the topic: Couldn’t get it to work with Zulu, hangs with Oracle Clean install

Trying to get this to work for the first time. Followed the install documentation and was getting errors with Zulu java. Uninstalled and installed Oracle. Now, when running start.bat, it shows the following:
c:\openHAB2>start.bat
Launching the openHAB runtime…
WARNING: Running Karaf on a Java HotSpot Client VM because server-mode is not available.
Install Java Developer Kit to fix this.
For more details see http://java.sun.com/products/hotspot/whitepaper.html#client
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling SLF4J API support.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling Jakarta Commons Logging API support.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling Log4J API support.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling Avalon Logger API support.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling JULI Logger API support.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api[org.ops4j.pax.logging.internal.Activator] : Enabling Log4J v2 API support. Ignored FQCN: org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger

then it hangs. Its been waiting there for about 2 hours…

Any idea?

It says that it configured the logger. Do you see anything in the userdata/logs folder? If so, openhab.log might have more information that can be useful.

What errors did you get when running with Zulu?

Does it work better if you address that warning and install the JDK?

Installing Developer Kit did get rid of the warning, but still hangs at the same spot.

I installed the developer kit, cleared the log, then ran start.bat again. Does it connect to the internet for something?

below is a subset of what the openhab.log file has in it:
2018-04-02 16:36:19.306 [ERROR] [ternal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller] - Error installing boot feature repository mvn:org.openhab.distro/distro/2.2.0/xml/features
java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.2.0: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.2.0 in openhab (https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/mvn/online-repo/2.2/)] : mvn:org.openhab.distro/distro/2.2.0/xml/features
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.load(RepositoryImpl.java:91) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.loadRepository(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:480) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.addRepository(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:496) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.addRepository(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:491) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller.installBootFeatures(BootFeaturesInstaller.java:98) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller.start(BootFeaturesInstaller.java:87) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:273) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.run(BaseActivator.java:242) [9:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.3]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.2.0: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.2.0 in openhab (https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/mvn/online-repo/2.2/)]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:720) ~[?:?]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:659) ~[?:?]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:600) ~[?:?]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:567) ~[?:?]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:557) ~[?:?]
at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.Connection.getInputStream(Connection.java:123) ~[?:?]
at java.net.URL.openStream(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.load(RepositoryImpl.java:86) ~[?:?]
… 12 more

I re-installed Zulu to get the error message. It is as follows…

c:\openHAB2>start.bat
Launching the openHAB runtime…
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-10\jre\lib\endorsed;C:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-10\lib\endorsed;c:\openHAB2\runtime\bin…\lib\endorsed is not supported. Endorsed standards and standalone APIs
in modular form will be supported via the concept of upgradeable modules.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Well. Deleting and re-extracting the openhab directory seems to have solved my issue…Sorry for wasting your time…

Windows7 64 Pro, OpenHab2.3.0 upgrade over 3 sanpshoots of.

I have the same ‘endorsed’ problem but I’m comming from a different place.

I had a woking openhab (2.3.0) but when I upgradeed it looked OK but everynow and then it would throw some errors (should have pic) but it continued to work. I cannot roll back from this.

I’ve just upgraded to the latest 2.3.0 (I can rollback this one) and had the errors at the start of the thread (I think).

I decided that upgrading my java (zulu) might help.

I may have missunderstood the upgrade instructions as read the zip bit about not been able to upgrade from V8-V10 so I uninstalled V8 and them msa V10 (I might not have needed to uninstall V8 if using msi to install V10)

I’m not using the JDK version and am not looking to implement as a process.

Post Zulu install I don’t understand:

Add the path to your Java application .jar file to the PATH variable.

Add the path to your application Class files to the CLASSPATH variable. For example:

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;<path_to_myClassFile.zip>

There is no sign of any of this in enviromantals from V8 so why now for V10 and also what do they mean??

After all of this I now have the ‘endorsed’ error messages.

Reupgrading openhab has made no difference nor has rebooting.

Any thoughts?

I would just blow my OH out and do a new one but I seem to have a ‘secrear’ and UUID associated with my current one. But I cannot remember what they are or are for; so I don’t know what would be the implications.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

OH will not work with Java 10. You must use a version no later than 8. So you need to install the latest Java 8.

1 Like

Thanks,

Removed z10 and instaled latest v8 and rebooted.

The:

Launching the openHAB runtime...
22:25:53.996 [Start Level: Equinox Container: bca8cb67-0ff4-434a-935d-d8c3c3d0c7
a3] ERROR org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller - Err
or installing boot features
org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.MultiException: Error:

Error(s) returned did a quick forum search and deleted etc/overrides.properties and bingo :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I will get the ‘random errors but it still works’ as I’ve only just got it back online.

So happly running 2.3.0 #1260

Cheers