Cant find Item which warns me in log "Command 'Offline' not supported"

Hi guys,

i’ve made some changes in my item files and now I get this warnings several times in my log:

2019-01-25 07:48:48.184 [WARN ] [eneric.internal.generic.ChannelState] - Command 'Offline' not supported by type 'OnOffValue': No enum constant org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.OnOffType.Offline

My problem is, that I have changed so many items at once, that I don’t know which item is causing this issue. Is there any way to find out which item is causing this issue, so that I can solve it? Or am I wrong and this comes from anything else?

Thanks in advance.


Try cleaning the cache.

Commands for an apt-get install:

sudo systemctl stop openhab2

sudo openhab-cli clean-cache

sudo systemctl start openhab2

1 Like

Good point. I’ll try it. Thank you!

I still get the same warning. Do you have any further idea?

What OH version are you using? Post your items and rules, maybe someone can spot an issue with the configuration.

I’m using openHAB 2.5.0~S1502-1 (Build #1502)

Trust me…you don’t want me to post all of my items and rules. I have more then 500 Items :grinning:

Do you have any hint, where such a warning can come from? For me it sounds like any switch item is getting the value “Offline”.


The only thing I can think of is to comment out 100 items at a time. If you can narrow it down to a 100 items then do 50, 25, 10, etc… till you find the item causing the issue. Just hope it’s not multiple item’s that causing this.:crossed_fingers:

Another option is to uninstall your bindings one at a time to see if it’s a binding issue.

You can narrow it down a little bit. You know the error is involving a Switch Item because the error is complaining about expecting an OnOffType.

You can further narrow it down because the value that is being used to try to command this Item is ‘Offline’.

So, the error is coming from a Switch Item that is linked to a channel (or bound to a binding) that produces ‘Offline’ as its message and during your editing you probably in advertantly removed a MAP transform that converts ‘Offline’ to OFF.

That should narrow things down significantly.

And take the lesson learned from this. It’s better to make lots of little incremental changes than it is to make one huge change.