Change color mode of HUE LED Lamps

Hello everybody,

I’m quite a beginner regarding the topic “smart home”. I recently bought a RaspBerry Pi Zero 1.3 and equipped it with an Ethernet / USB Hub Hat and a RaspBee.

OpenHab (2.5.5) and the control of my HUE components are now running on the Pi. So far, the whole thing works quite well (integrated via DeConz binding, HUE Bridge is completely offline).

The control of the HUE LED´s seems not to be as smart as in the control by the HUE app. What I miss with my colored LEDs is a switch between color mode (ct) and white tones (hs).

The HUE app and the DeConz app got the function to change these LED modes. Is it also possible with OpenHab? Can I use a button on my GUI which is used to sitch the mode?

Like written before I am quite new with this topic. For the future I want to realize the following:

• Realize a wake up light by the use of my HUE lamps (Alarm times will be set by CalDAV)
    • What annoys me with the HUE App is the fact that I can only set a maximum dimming time of 30 minutes. After 5 minutes I am already awake. I Want to raise the dimming time or lower the maximum brightness so that the dimming takes longer.
  • Control shutters using the Shelly 2.5 switches (Time shedule will also be done by CalDAV)
  • Start vacuum robot from the GUI (binding available)
  • Switching FritzBox WiFi on / off externally
  • Integrate weather data in GUI (according to instructions, this should be the easiest point)

The idea behind the connection to the FritzBox is that I want to turn on the WiFi when I want to control the Shelly and the WiFi is just turned off. Furthermore I want to switch the WiFi automatically Off if noone is at home.
I wanted to use CalDAV for the time shedule of the shutters and the wake up light because I have read that it is not easy to implement times for the UI and that this is the best way.

For the last two points, there is also the point of security. It is necessary to write my google pw as plain text in the cfg file to get the informations for the time shedule. Also used user passwords can be found as plain text in cfg. files. I am not really a fan of passwords written in plain text in cfg files because so it seems easier that they are stolen. But maybe I´m wrong like I wrote before I´m a beginner.

I think I will take a look at this topic in the moment I want to use CalDAV and the weather data from the Internet because then my pi must have Internet access and at the moment it is restricted to the internal network only.

Hope someone can help me with my first point regarding the mode of my HUE LED lamps . The other information are just as additional information so that someone may already say that I am going the wrong way and should switch to an different system.

Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 1.3 with RaspBee and ETH / USB Hub HAT
  • Java Runtime Environment:
    • Openjdk version “1.8.0_212”
    • OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1+rpi1-b01)
    • OpenJDK Client VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)
  • openHAB version: 2.5.5

For the hue lights you should have this channel: color_temperature

Dimmer Kitchen_Temp “Kitchen Color [%d]” {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:Color1:color_temperature”}

On this part why? Dropping wifi off/on can cause issues with certain devices. I know when I reset my access points my mqtt devices take up to a minute to recover after the ap is online(they bounce into ap mode). Also, my voice assistants go into ap mode and take a few minutes to recover.

For the hue lights you should have this channel: color_temperature

Yes I got this channel, but I just want to switch between white temperature and color temperature. So that the RGB HUEs act like a White Ambiance HUE. The Apps from HUE and Deconz offer this function. Sometimes it is nice to have.

On this part why? Dropping wifi off/on can cause issues with certain devices. I know when I reset my access points my mqtt devices take up to a minute to recover after the ap is online(they bounce into ap mode). Also, my voice assistants go into ap mode and take a few minutes to recover.

I have no problems like this. I normally turn off the WiFi manually. In case that I forget it it would be done to do it that way.

Have you tried the color temp channel? The name is misleading.

One last question are you using pi zero For openhab? If so may want to upgrade.

I use the following ones for my colored HUE Lamps:

Switch HUE_10_On {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:color”}
Dimmer HUE_10_Dimmer {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:color”}
Color HUE_10_Color {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:color”}
Dimmer HUE_10_ColorTemperature {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:color_temperature”}
String HUE_10_Alert {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:alert”}
Switch HUE_10_Effect {channel=“hue:0210:00212E048A08:10:effect”}

I use the following ones for my ambiance light:

Switch HUE_6_On {channel=“hue:0220:00212E048A08:6:brightness”}
Dimmer HUE_6_ColorTemperature {channel=“hue:0220:00212E048A08:6:color_temperature”}
Dimmer HUE_6_Brightness {channel=“hue:0220:00212E048A08:6:brightness”}
String HUE_6_Alert {channel=“hue:0220:00212E048A08:6:alert”}
Switch HUE_6_Effect {channel=“hue:0220:00212E048A08:6:effect”}

To show what I mean, here you see some screenshots from the Phoscon App (DeConz):

changes by activating the lower button:

You can switch the colored lamps to the colors of a white ambiance lamps.

Yes I am running the system with a pi zero 1.3 and its running good at the moment. I just wanted to use a system with a low power consumption. Maybe I will sitch to a newer one but at the moment its working quiet well.
The power consumption of a pi4 i.e. is much higher and the entire performance is not required.