Change UI Language does not work

Hi,
I would like OH UI all in Englis, I ran OH 3.4.1
I setup Language to English:

But in some place, all is still translated to italian, here is when I create a rule:

Translation in italian is very good, but I prefer to have all in english

Thanks

Did you setup the computer to use italian language? Would be

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

and select en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8, then select en_US.UTF-8 as the default for system.
After confirmation with ok, do a complete reboot (easiest way to get all software using the new locales)

Hi @Udo_Hartmann
I run OH in a docker container. It is possible to do that without reconfigure locale on host?

Thanks

Ah, docker :slight_smile: Please check the yaml code (if started through docker-compose) or the docker run command.
You’ll have to add the environment variable

LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8

See Docker for details

Hi,
here is ENV variable on my docker container:

it seems is just set as you suggest

Hmm… Then I have no idea…

1 Like

The language is selected based on the browser’s Accept-Language header, which is most likely the same as the language of the device you’re using, unless you manually reconfigure that.

2 Likes

Cool. Haven’t know that before that it is done in that way for a subset of the menus/text in OH.
I also had a mixture of English and local language. The later changed when I set my browser’s language priority to english as well.

And how can I have OH all in english, without changing the language of my PC/Browser?

Thanks

Depending on your browser, there might be a setting for language priority. This will affect other websites as well however, if they use the header to select language.

Which browser do you use ? For firefox there is an extension that should be configurable per website: Accept-Language per site – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

I will look for Chrome

Thanks

I just reboot for another reason, and found in OH logs:

2023-02-08 21:26:33.281	INFO 	.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl	Locale set to 'en_IT'.

Why en_IT ?

Thanks

en is the language setting, while IT is the regional setting, affecting e.g. date formats etc.

This is the guy for Chrome:

2 Likes