Cheap solution for alarm system

Hi Everyone!

I have been using openHAB for a while now at my home, but now I need some help to find out what is the best option to make an alarm system for my weekend house.
I don’t need any other home automation thing there, but I want something which can be used with openHAB, so I can send Telegram and other kind of messages.
At home I’m using a Paradox Alarm System, but this is rather expensive and hard to wire every room.
I have seen here posts about cheap chinese alarm systems, but I’m not sure what will be the best…

Do someone have some idea to solve this? I’m open for any kind of solution. Buy Z-Wave Motion sensors? Or is there a rather cheap complete solution which can communicate in some way with openHAB?

Thanks for everyone!

I would recommend a self contained dedicated alarm system.
You want to be able to rely on it, presumably for long periods unattended.
They’ve already thought of things like battery backup, double-knock alarms, tamper detection, self-test abilities, user vs.administrator access, blah

Messaging can be built in or you can get add-on diallers to e.g. send a text or voice message.

If cost is a factor, consider used equipment off eBay. Brand named kit is reliable even when elderly - budget for freshening up with new batteries, and unless on a shoestring, new PIR and contact sensors.

Personally, I’d bite the bullet and go wired. All those little batteries to maintain in wireless sensors on a rarely visited site? No thanks.

Yes I also think wired would be better. I just said that if I buy a new kit from somewhere they usually require a professional to install it in order to maintain the guarantee on it.
Looking into the solutions I also think the same. I would rather spend a little more on it, and a have a better but dedicated system, which in on its own an alarm system and I add some automation to it from “outside”.
This is what works here at home now, so I think I will stick to this…

i think because its a such unused place the battery will be great …as you dont move or open doors most of the time battery will remain … but yes wired is the best way to go

I think this falls into the category of things that professional alarm designers think of that you might not. For system integrity, wireless sensors should “check in” from time to time. Activity doesn’t make a lot of difference.
Of course, they also design in good battery life - it should be measured in years.

But in your case - is it going to run out at an inconvenient time?
If a central backup battery dies - it doesn’t matter immediately, system still working on mains power.

some stupid ones will not check in… i am using some 433 from ALI for
Smoke
PIR
door/window
leaks
they will not check in unless triggered, but i am sure to they will run out someday even if not engaged

i agree this is not mission critical just for my fun… its working great and very cheap
but the most important part is the installation… i did not have the privilege to run wires
so this was my only resort if i could i would defiantly spend more… and wire shit up :slight_smile:

and we are arguing for nothing i agreed with you in my first post :wink:

Yes I wanted to have experiences like yours… how stable is that, how you integrate this with openHAB, do you have a dedicated panel on the wall to arm/disarm, etc…?

For me the wiring is not the crucial part, because we are making a renovation soon, so I could wire if needed. However a cheaper solution would be great, if that is verified by some users that it works without a problem…

i am using a Bluetooth binding to detect my or my wife if we are home alarm is disabled

ofcurse also i have a fail safe to cancel this or to arm/disarm alarm when i need
but no keypad or something, if find it redundant

when i can do it from my phone…

also the house is sending notification when any state will change …so i dont see the point to make it more complex, but it would look good

one more thing
do listen to @rossko57 , if an alarm is something you dear, i live with my wife and very safe location as said this is for fun ,a good alarm system does not have so many fail points

the battery is not so much of an issue, you can buy a lot of sensors and if one does not work it is covered by another one… it will still be cheaper

you can also hook a UPS to the OH, router and the siren making it power break proof

but even after all that a lot of things can go wrong as this is DIY system be ready to spend time also fixing it yourself, sometimes spending a little more is worth it in the long run

I took the DIY route and purchased a series of 433Mhz devices (door/window sensors, etc) compatible with OpenMQTTGateway which was used to replace the firmware on Sonoff’s 433Mhz wireless gateway. OpenMQTTGateway sends mqtt messages to OpenHab. The mqtt messages from the door sensors are also read by an NodeMCU/Arduino node that activates a relay on a wireless doorbell (designed to alert us to the movements of our grandchildren.) OpenHab sends out an mqtt message to enable/disable the door bell function and display security alerts. Cheers.

2 Likes

Can you name some specific sensors which you used? And if I understand clearly you use that Sonoff gateway with custom firmware?

using thsomta
i can say that the below is working , i am not advertising this , maybe you can find better deals , this is from my order basket…

leak

door/window

smoke

PIR

switch

and yes sonoff rf bridge

Thank you very much I will have a look. However I have found that some Paradox kits are not that expensive and you can use serial connection there as well to connect it to a Raspberry Pi (no need for expensive IP modules). I will consider both options…

Is the paradox already in? It doesn’t have too many sensors? If it’s already there I would have thought adding to it would be cheaper than starting afresh.

Then for integration look at https://github.com/jpbarraca/pai. Which supports either serial or up connection. I think some people may have integrated an esp8266 which would be a much cheaper option than the official serial module.

Yes I know this is what I use at home :slight_smile: Thats why it would be great if I can use Paradox, I don’t have to learn a whole new thing and find its problems…

The Openmqttgateway folks have a spreadsheet that lists compatible RF devices and links to product pages at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_5fQjAixzRtepkykmL-3uN3G5bLfQ0zMajM9OBZ1bx0/edit#gid=2126158079