Chromecast stays in INITIALIZING status

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _RPi4
    • openHAB version: OH3

The inbox finds 3 chromecast devices in my setup, which is correct. A Google Assistant and 2 chromecast devices connected to 2 TVs. OH3 reads the ip address of each device correctly.
The problem is that when adding them as a thing the status stays as “initializing”.
Am I doing something wrong? Any help or pointers will be highly appreciated.

Am I the only one with this problem?

I don’t recall anyone else mentioning it, but I haven’t done a search. I added a Chromecast with Google TV in February, and didn’t have any issues.

The only thing I can say is that I have IP addresses reserved for my devices. It sounds like you’ve done that, though.

Yes, Ialso configure each device with a fixed ip address.
Do you know if OH3 also store .thing config files like in OH2.5 or is the setup completely different.

Doses this mean that you have your Chromecasts defined in a .things file, and are also trying to discover/add them via MainUI? Because if so, that’s likely your problem.

When you configure a .thing file, you’re adding things manually and bypassing the UI. When you discover/add in the UI, you’re asking OH to do the work so that you won’t need a .thing file. If you’re trying to do both, I would guess that MainUI is trying to add the Chromecasts from the inbox (which it autodiscovered) and finding that they already exist (due to your .thing file).

This is no different from OH2, where you could use config files or autodiscover with the PaperUI inbox.

Nope, I don’t have a .thing file. The UI discovered the 3 devices and when I try to add them they just stay in initializing mode. I have deleted them and tried to add them manually but that also fail.

Ah, okay. I guess I’d try uninstalling and reinstalling the binding. Failing that, make a backup of your SD card and then upgrade to a newer version to see if that fixes it.

I have done the uninstall a few times, no change.
Will have a look if there is a newer version, although I think I have the latest installed.