Circular dependencies / startup issues resolved

All,

the latest build #399 now includes a couple of fixes for the startup behavior, which should fix quite some issues like this one.

I strongly recommend to upgrade to this build if you had any issues with your startup rules, etc, in the past as I expect it to be much more reliable during startup.

Best regards,
Kai

2 Likes

Hi Kai,
So Iā€™ve upgraded to todays runtime - everything updated to the online version except for retaining the userdata folder.

I then installed the zwave binding, and I get the following logged - this is all. Any thoughts?

openhab> log:display zw
10:14:17.830 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent INSTALLED - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:18.501 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent RESOLVED - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.058 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.060 [DEBUG] [inding.zwave.internal.ZWaveActivator] - Z-Wave binding started. Version 2.0.0.201607080102
10:14:20.095 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=zwave:qubino_zmnhba_00_000, thing.id=zwave:device:1531045fdae:node12, service.id=439, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.097 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=440, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.101 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=zwave:tkb_tz88_00_000, thing.id=zwave:device:1531045fdae:node13, service.id=441, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.103 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=442, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.106 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=zwave:fibaro_fgd211_00_000, thing.id=zwave:device:1531045fdae:node2, service.id=443, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.108 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=444, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.111 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=zwave:fibaro_fgd211_00_000, thing.id=zwave:device:1531045fdae:node4, service.id=445, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.113 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=446, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.123 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=zwave:serial_zstick, thing.id=zwave:serial_zstick:1531045fdae, service.id=447, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.124 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandlerFactory}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.ZWaveHandlerFactory, component.id=295, service.id=438, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.195 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.ConfigOptionProvider, org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.ConfigDescriptionProvider}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.zwave.ConfigDescription, component.id=296, service.id=448, service.bundleid=204, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
10:14:20.197 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.binding.zwave

except for retaining the userdata folder.

Then better donā€™t retain it and see if it makes a difference. I tried the offline distro and Z-Wave seems to start up alright.

Ok - Iā€™ll give it a try. I was trying to avoid that as I will need to reinstall all things :frowning:

Ok - that did fix it. I suspect that whatever is/was causing the issue with the callback may also be the issue that was stopping the binding from starting as I also had this on the weather binding.

Anyway - itā€™s working now, and I just need to reinstall my 50 zwave things :frowning:. I donā€™t suppose thereā€™s a way to backup/export the mapdb database?

Similar situation here:

The update of an existing installation (via the script from this forum) was not working, the console didnā€™t even start properly.

Installing the online distribution in an empty directory and copy of the conf files worked. And from a first look it seems like the startup issues are resolved.

@chris, did you try to only copy the mapdb folder?

Yes - that caused it to die.

Ah - and just to confirm that I also copied the other ā€˜userā€™ type folders (ie other than log, cache, etcā€¦) and it still works, so Iā€™m pretty confident the issue is in the mapdb.

Hmmm - Iā€™m still seeing an issue with one of my bindings not starting -:

13:01:34.674 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.meteostick      ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.binding.meteostick
13:01:34.683 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.meteostick      ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandlerFactory}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.meteostick.internal.meteostickHandlerFactory, component.id=196, service.id=335, service.bundleid=203, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.meteostick
13:01:34.687 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.meteostick      ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=meteostick:meteostick_bridge, thing.id=meteostick:meteostick_bridge:155cf0d3f4e, service.id=336, service.bundleid=203, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.meteostick
13:01:34.692 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.meteostick      ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandler}={thing.type=meteostick:meteostick_davis_iss, thing.id=meteostick:meteostick_davis_iss:155cf0dee5d, service.id=337, service.bundleid=203, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.meteostick
13:01:34.694 [DEBUG] [tick.handler.meteostickSensorHandler] - Initializing MeteoStick handler.
13:01:34.695 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.meteostick      ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.binding.meteostick

Other than recompiling periodically, this binding has worked find for the past 8 months or so and this problem started a couple of weeks back. Maybe itā€™s not related to the previous startup issues, but itā€™s something Iā€™ve not seen until recently so Iā€™m suspicious.

I did a from-scratch reinstall on my test system using the latest snapshot.

The startup is much cleaner, but I still see cases where the binding initialization does not proceed.

This seems to be something different then. Do we already have an issue at ESH that describes what exactly ā€œbinding initialization does not proceedā€ means?

I donā€™t believe so. If youā€™d like, I can open an ESH issue that describes the behavior thatā€™s outlined in this and other threads.

Thanks, definitely good to have it entered there to keep track.

I just entered the issue. The title may not be worded all that well, so feel free to edit it.

@chris, Feel free to add/edit based on your observations.

Hopefully resolved with build 407 now - please test!

As I reported over on this thread, this build looks really good.

I also can confirm for me the latest build (#408) fixed the startup issues on my side.

@Kai thanks for all the work to find the cause of this and fix it!

1 Like