[comfoair] New ComfoAir Binding

Do you have the event log for the same timeframe? From the trace log I can’t tell when the issues occur.

No problem.
events log from same timeframe: events.log (29.5 KB)
openhab.log from the same timeframe: openhab.log (45.5 KB)

Hi Hans,

Installed OH 3.0.0 M2 and the additional ComfoAir binding and works well although i can see some warnings in the event log. The system is connected on a WHR350 unit.

Is this something to worry about?

Sry @smhaller, but I’m still not able to reproduce you issues. Your logs show that your device is not always responding to the sent commands, or sometimes the binding is recieving multiple responses at once (surprisingly, the state is set to UNDEF before triggering the log that the maximum number of retries was reached).
However, I can’t figure out why this happens. Maybe an unstable connection? How is your device connected? Which adapter/device do you use on OH side?

Another strange thing in the log: your device is sending firmware information without being requested from OH. This is not happening in my configuration (at least after half an hour watching my trace logs). Are DEVICE_NAME, SOFTWARE_VERSION_MAIN and SOFTWARE_VERSION_MINOR are correctly shown in your thing properties?

Also, I’m not sure why this didn’t occur with the v1 Binding, but since the communication didn’t change, I think that the v1 binding did just not propagate null responses to the items (which is not desired IMO)

Hi Bart,
How often do this warnings come up? I think these warnings should only appear, if the received data is not matching the configured item. Is any of your comfoair items having a NULL or UNDEF state? Are your item types correct according to the documentation?

I use a digitus USB->Serial adapter. This should be fine. But I wonder if the connection from there to the CA350 is crap. Just ordered a fresh cable :frowning:
Should arrive these days. I’ll keep you posted.

@boehan - Dear Hans

I have now a status which I think is fine. The issue was that I disconnected one wrong wire from the CC Sense to the board. After I changed this I only see few status that went to UNDEF and as far as I can track it was related to restarts of OH a.s.o.

Despite the fact that I don’t like the idea of having CC Sense unwired I can work with it.

Once more: A big big thank you.

Stefan

Hi Stefan, great that you were able to sort out your issues.

If you are using a ComfoAir 350 and I’m reading it’s manual (page 40) correctly, you should have an extra RS232 port on the control port to connect a PC like your openHAB (see the attached picture). Then you should be able to switch between CCEase and OH with the controls available in the binding, I think.
Unfortunately, I can’t test that myself, since my device (Wernig G90-160) doesn’t seem to have that port.

Hi Hans

I had my serial cable connected to the RJ45 port (ext. comm). I have now tried to use the Serial (9 pol dsub) but with the same result. As soon as CC sense is wired I receive states changed to UNDEF. I wonder if the RX/TX of CC-Sense is wired wrongly (and this would trigger wrong states) but I’m not sure if I would like try this out.

Cheers
Stefan

Same for me. Using a Comfoair 550, USB to serial adapter connected to the Dsub plug. As soon as Comfoair Sense is connected the states change to UNDEF.
OH3 running on a Raspbi 3B.

And how was it behaving before the change?
I had partially some delays in reaction but it never happened that a value was set to NULL or UNDEF in the regular operation.

I cant forward any historic info, sorry. Its the first time that i connect my Comfoair to OH. Trying since a while but had to test 3 USB to seriell adapters until i found a working one… The oldest…

At least you’ve got it working so far. :slight_smile:

@smhaller @Matze_R could you capture a TRACE log just from toggling the binding control switch (bindingControl#activate channel) - switch it off and on again, ideally with the CCEase connected.

Just to be sure about your configuration:

• You have CCEase and openHAB connected each to their dedicated port at the ComfoAir (CCEase to the CCEase connector, openHAB to the RS232-PC connector)?
  • You have the bindingControl#activate channel switched to ON?
  • If you connect the CCEase, some items (not all) change their state to UNDEF occasionally and back to the actual value on the next refresh?

I have checked the code again, since it came to my mind that I could eventually have made a mistake when changing the activate channel from Number to Switch type. But the only thing that has changed from the v1 binding is, that the v1 binding just didn’t update the item, if the communication failed, while the OH2/3 binding returns a UNDEF type. And in my opinion this is desired, since a failed communication should have any indication and we should rather find the actual reason why the communication fails.

@boehan
Hi Hans

I did this experiment and here are the logs. But somehow it doesn’t look as I would have expected.
I have striped off other lines from openhab.log and events.log which aren’t related for the Comfoair.
comfoair.log (101.1 KB)
events_comfoair.log (2.6 KB)
openhab_comfoair.log (1.1 KB)

BTW: When I connected CC Sense again it was reporting Filter error. The binding before did not warn about it. But I thought it should.

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your response. Looking at your logs I can’t see the command for binding activation sent to the comfoair. However, I had another look at your .items definition and figured that some of your items should be Switch types instead of Numbers (e.g. AiringControl, AiringFilterError nad the menuP9 states). Please check the documentation agan.
Even though this does not really explain your issue, it may at least be the problem why the toggling of the activation did not work. Please try again after correcting these.
BTW, your comfoair reports being set to “PC only” mode while it should be “PC Master” so there is definitely an issue with binding activation.

This could also be related to the item being defined as Number rather than Switch. Unfortunately, you seem to have already reset the timer, so hard to tell if it is solved (will investigate further on my device).

Can you confirm these?

yes

I did so, but as you noticed yourself it didn’t report it. Will check and adjust the item and re-run the exercice precisly. Log files to follow :slight_smile:

Hello Hans
When i look at the item activate it does not change the status when i change from Computer to CC Ease. The color on the button vanishes after actualizing the page. Items do not change a difference in the status, stays at “ON”
I’m sorry but im not that familiar with programming topics that i can do perfect logs for you. I did a reboot of the raspbi with Comfoair as only bindung being active.
See attached
Item definition : ComfoAir.txt (4.7 KB)
openhab.log (830.7 KB)
events.log (17.1 KB)

PS : CC Easy is connected. Raspi connected to D-Sub port.

@boehan

I have adjusted the Control item, the other one not yet
Here we go. One hour trace with some control activities.
comfoair1.log (802.4 KB)
comfoair2.log (782.6 KB)

events_comfoair.log (25.3 KB)

Maybe you already saw it in the last log. While still using the items file I also configured Comfoair using the OH3 model. So Every event with:

• “Airing…” is related to items.file
  • “GenericComfo…” belongs to OH3 model setup

BTW: In the Documentation sitemap entry for comfoairControl still refers to a number item. I placed a request to change this on github.