Coming from ETS 3 - (rookie)

Hi guys!

I installed my fully KNX system in my house now 10 years ago. I have always used ETS3 to program it but find it rather hard to use. Is there anyway software wise to take this to OpenHab? Can I export from ETS to openhap to test it out? Or is there any other solutions you would prefer? This is my first time at this site btw.

My house consit of heating, ligthing (indoor and outdoor) and an old LCD panel called the MT701 :slight_smile:

Hi,

Although it may seem a bummer to you, openHAB does not replace ETS.
What you should do first is try to understand the power of openHAB starting with http://docs.openhab.org/introduction.html
Then you can try integrating your existing KNX installation with other devices, such as smart TV’s, audio devices, etc. Trust me, it’s a lot of fun out there.

BR,
George

1 Like

Thanks will definitively read that. Is there anything open source that DOES replace ETS? I really dont wanna continue to pay for the updates :slight_smile:

Unfortunately there is nothing I know that can fully replace ETS!
I have developed some apps for parts of the ETS functionalities, but only for specific tasks.
ETS is still the only fully fledged tool right now!

BR,
George

Ok so I am well on my way here. I figured if I want to get back into this i need to upgrade my USB KNX module for programming to a more up to date IP module so I can do programming via my internal home network. Anybody has a thought on what module to use for this, availability in Norway would be very nice :slight_smile:

Hi,

You can still use your USB gateway with KNX. There are two ways to do this:

1. Direct connection of openHAB to the serial interface through the binding configuration
  2. Setting up a KNX/IP router or tunnel connection using knxd, or eibd. OpenHAB should connect without problems.

If you really want to purchase a KNX/IP interface, I strongly suggest to buy a KNX/IP router (the vendor/producer is not important, the difference is that some vendors require extra power supply for the router, others don’t)

BR,
George

1 Like

I am late at answering, bur have some stuff going on in my house right now. A real electrican managed to screw one of my Dali gateways. Anyways it sped up my needs here. Since I have to do all my programming through an old USB1 interface I would like to start out with upgrading to KNX/Ip gateway. Which one would you suggest? My electrician has giving me some crazy prizes :slight_smile:

First, IP Routers are far more expensive than Tunnel Gateways, because they do much more than just tunneling IP packets to knx and vice versa. knx Routers are meant to build a knx backbone with Ethernet hardware.

Second, the programming would not be faster as per USB, because knx is the limiting factor, 9.600 Bit/s. There is no chance to change this.
But the connection is more comfortable via knx/IP gateway, because e.g. you could install ETS on your laptop and don’t have to worry where to sit, because ETS will connect wireless through the knx/IP gateway (if both are in the LAN).

In question of cheap interfaces: I’m using a Weinzierl 730 (new model 731) for about 150€, and there is also an IP Router Weinzierl 750 (new model 751) for about 300€, but there are more manufacturers, just ask aunt google :wink:

Thank you for helping out. I can see that you guys are really good at this and has alot on knowledge. Is there anywhere I could go to learn more about the basics? I actually programmed my whole house, including weather stations and blinds and more, but it is 10 years since installation and I have only done small things to it after, so its kind of like starting from scratch. For thoose of you who know about it I still have the MT701 screen mounted on my wall. Kind of a novelty theese days.

What my main goal is here is actually to be able to control my house from my Android mobile or Ipad. Is there a forum, or somewhere to satart with theese basics, both on hardware and maybe software so I dont have to bother all of you guys. I am in the process theese days to get my ETS3 database converted to ETS5 - so after this I would like to get stuff going :slight_smile: