Compatibility with PowerLinc V2 USB 2414U w/ 2476S & 2476D?

Hello

I’m taking a look at openHAB this week hoping to replace my old out of date Mac solution. I’m stuck at the moment and not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

openHab 2.4.0.1
Hue Emulation
Insteon PLM
paper UI

PowerLinc V2 USB 2414U
2476S
2476D

Was able to get Alexa to discover a switch and dimmer ( after a lot of trial & error ).

Telling “Alexa turn on front door light” does NOT turn on the front door light.

events.log

2019-12-13 15:57:14.398 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘frontdoor’ received command ON
2019-12-13 15:57:14.434 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - frontdoor changed from OFF to ON

openhab.log

2019-12-13 15:57:14.398 [INFO ] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - Item: frontdoor got command ON
2019-12-13 15:57:14.417 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.CommandHandler] - LightOnOffCommandHandler: sent msg to switch xx.xx.xx to on
2019-12-13 15:57:14.421 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.CommandHandler] - Sending message to xx.xx.xx

Also seen in the log

2019-12-13 15:57:25.845 [INFO ] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - devices: 2 configured, 0 polling, msgs received: 0
2019-12-13 15:59:26.073 [WARN ] [onplm.internal.device.ModemDBBuilder] - modem database download unsuccessful, restarting!

hueemulation.confg

createNewUserOnEveryEndpoint=B"false"
discoveryHttpPort=“80”
discoveryIp=“xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”
pairingEnabled=B"false"
pairingTimeout=“120”
restrictToTagsColorLights=“ColorLighting”
restrictToTagsSwitches=“Switchable”
restrictToTagsWhiteLights=“Lighting,Switchable”
service.pid=“org.openhab.hueemulation”

insteonplm.config

modem_db_retry_timeout=“240000”
poll_interval=“300000”
port_0="/dev/ttyAMA0"
refresh=“600000”
service.pid=“org.openhab.insteonplm”

Attempted to use insteon-terminal to see what I could see but it hung at modem.getdb()

Copied the following switch2477D.py dimmer2477D.py modem2413U.py and renamed to switch2477D.py dimmer2476D.py modem2414U.py. Made minor edits in files to rename correct device.

Have no idea if insteon-teminal or insteonPLM supports 76D 76S or 14U.

Welcome to the Community !

Did you add the correct tags to the item like [ “Lighting” ] ? This is needed for Alexa to control the light.

Also see this link openHAB Skill For Amazon Alexa | openHAB for setting up your items.

Hello

First off thanks for the reply.

Below is the content of my .items file.

insteon.items

Dimmer bedroom “bedroom” [“Lighting”] {insteonplm=“xx.xx.xx:F00.00.0C#dimmer”}

Switch frontdoor “front door light” [“Lighting”] {insteonplm=“xx.xx.xx:F00.00.02#switch”}

Did I add the correct tags?

Alexa did find the two devices and they show up in the Alexa iOS device list.

Alexa responds to request to turn on or off the lights with “OKAY”.

It appears that Alexa is interacting with the HUE Emulator.

It appears that the InsteonPLM Binding is being called.

See openhab.log below.

2019-12-14 17:55:04.834 [INFO ] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - Item: bedroom got command ON
2019-12-14 17:55:04.847 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.CommandHandler] - LightOnOffCommandHandler: sent msg to switch xx.xx.xx to on
2019-12-14 17:55:04.850 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.CommandHandler] - Sending message to xx.xx.xx

However the lights are not coming on.

Not using the myopenHAB.org cloud service or the openHAB Alexa Smart Home Skill.

Thanks again for the reply hopefully the additional information will shed some light on the problem. (Ugh can’t believe I said that.)

Can’t you turn the lights on manually with sitemap?
It appears you may have an Insteon setup issue.

Your items look correct to my memory. It is like the plm is either not getting the command or not sending to the lights.

You have to make sure the lights are paired with the plm in both directions. I got bit by this.

Hello Danny

What do you mean when you say “both directions”? Can you provide instructions or provide a link to a good guide?

Thanks for your feedback.

This looks good except you may want to add a space between [ and " in the tag. Not sure if that will make a difference or not but all my items have a space.:thinking:

The other thing to do is after making all your changes stop OH, clean the cache and reboot. Not sure what platform you running on but for linux debian the commands are:

sudo systemctl stop openhab2

sudo openhab-cli clean-cache

sudo systemctl start openhab2 or ** sudo reboot**

According to a post I stumbled across on the Insteon website the 2414U is a PLC and not a PLM. The protocol differs from the PLM.

If the 2414U is a PLC what is a recommended replacement? The 2413U or something else?

Thanks again for everyones input.

(Egg on Face)

Success.

The 2414U was the problem. Installed a 2413U tonight and after adding the switches to the modem database was able to command Alexa to turn on and off the lights.

What power, hope it doesn’t all go to my head. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: