Configuration files in docker container - strange behaviour

Hi all,

I am running a Pi4 with current raspiOS

OpenHab is installed, together with raspberrymatic, mosquitto, influxdb, in a docker compose configuration.

But all of this is not my issue.
My problem is that I don’t understand why my configuration files (e.g. things) are not existing, but there are thins configured in the UI.

configuration of the container is straight forward:

openhab:
    image: "openhab/openhab:latest-alpine"
    container_name: openhab
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
      - NET_RAW
    volumes:
      - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
      - "/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro"
      - "openhab_addons:/openhab/addons"
      - "openhab_conf:/openhab/conf"
      - "openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata"
    environment:
      CRYPTO_POLICY: "unlimited"
      EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS: "-Duser.timezone=Europe/Berlin"
      OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT: "9090"
      OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT: "9443"
      OPENHAB_HTTP_ADDRESS: "192.168.178.10"
      USER_ID: "9001"
      GROUP_ID: "9001"

looking in “system:property” within the container, I see the following configuration:

user.dir=/openhab/userdata
openhab.conf=/openhab/conf

so far so good - configuration seem to be correct.
But when I am looking into the local conf-volume on the host, I am seeing all the folders containing readme files.
But I am not seeing any .things files but there are things configured in the UI.

Am I wrong with my assumption that the UI is storing the configuration in the conf files or is anything else wrong?

Look like I found the correct search term for Goolge to identify this strange behaviour :slight_smile:

According to a user in the commnity:

The config you do in the GUI is stored in /var/lib/openhab3/jsondb.” - from the Developer of the AUR package of OpenHAB 3.

So it look like I need to decide if I would like to configure everything in the UI or within the config files.

Mixing both locations make things probably more complicated and dificult to operate in the future.

Yes everything you configure using the UI is stored in those JSON files. If you add any textual configuration it will override the configuration made in the UI.

See also: