Configuring endpoints in the Z-Wave database

Hi @chris, @5iver and @sihui (& others, but you three seem to be the central people that I can see)
As you’re probably aware from my posts elsewhere, I’ve been in the progress of creating my first z-wave devices on the database.

brief aside for others interested in following this
For others, if you have a z-wave device not in the database, go to https://www.cd-jackson.com, read the overview: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/device-initialisation , and then create an account on that site. Once the account is created, send a ticket to get edit permissions.
While you wait, read the other overview document: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide

Next, attempt to add the new, unrecognized zwave device to your OH setup. This will create a starting xml file.
Get the OH xml file from your user zwave data directory ( on openhabian, it is located at /var/lib/openhab2/zwave ) that corresponds with your new zwave node). Log into the cd-jackson website, and go to devices>devices list, and then press the green “+add” button. Upload the xml file contents. Then, go through and configure the device. The device manual will be your friend for this. I found the z-wave alliance entry for my device to be slightly helfpul, but it wasn’t highly accurate.
Once you’ve finished setting up the device, press the ‘Request Review’ button. Once reviewed/approved, it will then be incorporated within the next device DB release, which apparently often occurs on weekends. After that, you’ll need to update your z-wave device snapshot binding as per 5iver’s script Zigbee and Z-Wave manual install script If you’re having issues with the jar file, you may need to manually download the jar file and drop it into the addons folder. Ensure the correct user (likely openhab) is used for all the files created, and for running the update script.
end aside

My question is around configuration of the endpoints. I’ve read the brief endpoints section in the overview document, but it seemed more focussed on renaming the endpoints with more helpful descriptions. My question is about the various options that could be selected:

They seem to suggest various levels of security that could be options for the various endpoints. I can’t seem to find any good documentation on what these refer to, where you get the correct settings for them, and what can go wrong if you set them incorrectly. An inquiry to the manufacturer didn’t get a response to this detail, unfortunately.
I believe the LZW30 switches are supposed to support S2 securtity, and imagine the various endpoints should support it as well (I assume this is the ‘sec’ option). The pre-populated items from the OH xml document didn’t have these checked, as you hopefully can see from the above image. I haven’t yet been able to update the firmware for my RaZBerry hat, which I suppose may be a factor. I purchased it summer 2018, so it’s firmware is likely circa then.

Are any of you able to point me to further information about the Basic, NIF, Sec and UnSec parameters for the various endpoints? Is this something I should be putting time into setting up correctly?

Thanks
Ben

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B+, RaZBerry hat. Extended onto large SSD drive with wear leveling
    • OS: Openhabian 2.4 stable, OS updated regularly with config rool
    • openHAB version: 2.4 stable

You generally leave Endpoint information alone. It is best configured by uploading an OH xml file.
Most of the experts are sleeping right now.

1 Like

Al already mentionend: from the xml.
Usually it is not necessary to update endpoints manually.

Some of these checkmarks are informational only. If the device supports security, it will use security, regardless of the checkmarks.

1 Like

IIRC, all of them are informational and none are used by the binding.

The database complains if none are marked as basic.

The “Linked to Basic” is definitely used - the others are for information, but it’s still good for them to be correct if possible.

1 Like

Thanks all for the very helpful information. I won’t sweat the details, then, as they should be automatically created by OH.

2 Likes