Configuring Openhab for tasmota things

Thanks hafniumzinc,
First of several questions in Things state topic you use tasmota/sonoff-ps01/POWER and for command topic tasmota/sonoff-ps01/cmnd/POWER.
I tried home assistant as I was getting nowhere and no hair.

Im using mqtt.fx and when I alter the setting I get homeassistant/sensor/32C77C_status/config sometimes as when I uninstalled home assistant it didn’t remove all it’s files but the normal is stat/Brilliant/state and

{“Time”:“2020-06-09T14:23:18”,“Uptime”:“0T02:27:08”,“UptimeSec”:8828,“Heap”:27,“SleepMode”:“Dynamic”,“Sleep”:10,“LoadAvg”:99,“MqttCount”:2,“POWER”:“ON”,“Dimmer”:40,“Color”:“102,0,0,0”,“HSBColor”:“0,100,40”,“White”:0,“Channel”:[40,0,0,0],“Scheme”:0,“Fade”:“OFF”,“Speed”:1,“LedTable”:“ON”,“Wifi”:{“AP”:1,“SSId”:“vickery”,“BSSId”:“3C:37:86:98:72:D9”,“Channel”:7,“RSSI”:50,“Signal”:-75,“LinkCount”:3,“Downtime”:“0T00:00:30”}}

what should the statements be ( not worrying about the home assistant bit)

I don’t use those state or command topics in the link I provided - where did you get those from?

Can you take a screenshot of the MQTT parameters page from Tasmota, and paste it into a reply. We can go from there. It should look something like below:

You mention HomeAssistant quite a few times - you’re in an OpenHAB forum, right?

Sorry I went to the wrong Tab you are right. Everything has just been getting confused:-)

Yes I am back using Openhab but Home assistant didn’t cleanly uninstall even though it was on the Raspberry Pi and I am using a new micro sd , it may be something to do with visual studio code.

OK, so your thing file could look something like this:

Bridge mqtt:broker:MosquittoMqttBroker "Mosquitto MQTT Broker" [host="192.168.0.20", secure=false]
{
	// Switch Light
	Thing mqtt:topic:Brilliant "Light switch" {
		Channels:
			Type switch : switch "Power Switch" [ 
				stateTopic="stat/Brilliant/POWER", 
				commandTopic="cmnd/Brilliant/POWER",
				on="ON",
				off="OFF"          
			]
	}
}

then an items file could include:

Switch sBrilliantSwitch "Brilliant Light Switch"  { channel="mqtt:topic:Brilliant:switch" }

and the sitemap could include:

Switch item=sBrilliantSwitch label="Brilliant Light" icon="light"

That covers the basic on/off for the light. I notice the MQTT payload includes dimmer and colour - is this a lightbulb? This link may also be useful, as it includes an example channel setup for the colour and dimmer:

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the MQTT binding installed (not v1), and the JSONPath transformation (for the dimmer and colour stuff). You can do this via the PaperUI.

• PaperUI -> Add-ons -> Bindings -> MQTT Binding -> Install
  • PaperUI -> Add-ons -> Transformations -> JSONPath Transformation -> Install

Hi What I have is a color light
My Thing is

Bridge mqtt:broker:MosquittoMqttBroker “Mosquitto MQTT Broker” [
host=“192.168.0.20”,
secure=false,
]
Thing mqtt:topic:Brilliant “Light” {
Channels:
Type switch : switch “Power Switch” [
stateTopic=“stat/Brilliant/POWER”,
commandTopic=“cmnd/Brilliant/POWER”,
on=“ON”,
off=“OFF”
]
Type string : reachable “Reachable” [
stateTopic = “tele/Brilliant/LWT”
]
}
}

I have now done the items and sitemap but the sitemap does not display. Just has welcome

Assuming you’re putting all these files in the correct folders, with the correct extensions, then I suspect it’s the sitemap file itself which as gone wrong.

Start a new sitemap file, and try with this code:

sitemap our_home label="Our Home" {
	Frame label="Lights"{
		Switch item=sBrilliantSwitch label="Brilliant Light" icon="light"
	}
}

Save the file as our_home.sitemap

It should then popup under the “Welcome” in the BasicUI.

I now have Things:-

host=“192.168.0.20”,

secure=false,

]

Channels:

Type switch : POWER "Light Power On/OFF" [ 

1="ON", 

0="OFF"          

]

Type string : reachable "Reachable" [

stateTopic = "tele/Brilliant/LWT"

] 

Type dimmer:dimmer "Dimmer" [

stateTopic="stat/Brilliant/RESULT",

commandTopic="cmnd/Brilliant/DIMMER",

transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.Dimmer"

]

Type colorHSB:color "Colour" [

stateTopic="stat/Brilliant/RESULT",

commandTopic="cmnd/Brilliant/HSBColor",

transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.HSBColor"

]

Type switch:state "State" [

stateTopic="tele/Brilliant/STATE",

transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.POWER",

1="ON",

0="OFF"

]         

}

}

And Items:-
Switch sBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” (gLights, gIndoorLights, gUpstairsLights) {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:power”}

Dimmer dBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:dimmer”}

Color cBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:color”}

and Sitemaps:-
sitemap our_home label=“Our Home” {

Frame label="Lights"{

Switch item=sBrilliantswitch label="Brilliant Light" icon="light"

Colorpicker item=cBrilliantswitch label="RGB strip colour"

}

}

alter power or color and nothing happens but if changed in MQtt.fx publish cmnd/Brilliant/HSBcolor lamp changes color, or cmnd/Brilliant/POWER 0 or 1 turns the globe off or on.

This stuff is case sensitive; POWER/power

I have gone through all the code checked and changed any wrong case words but still nothing from openhab being picked up by MQTT.fx to mosquitto but able to pickup commands from Tasmota published to it. Any suggestions?

Look in your events.log to make sure commands are being received by the Item(s) that you expect.
Look in your openhab.log to make sure you established a broker connection.

As @rossko57 says, check that your broker connection works. In addition to looking at the logs, you can also use the PaperUI.

Go to Configuration -> Things and scroll down until you find the MQTT broker. It will look very similar to mine:

If it says “ONLINE” then at least that bit is working. If it doesn’t you need to double check the broker settings in the things file, including whether you need authentication or not (dependent upon how you setup the Mosquitto broker).

Yes the MQTT Broker is online. Checked using Frontail that the items changed values, no mention if the data was published.

To check if your Mosquitto broker is receiving commands, subscribe to the Brilliant topic using mosquitto_sub in a terminal.

On the same machine that is running Mosquitto (or another if you have the relevant packages installed), try the following command and watch when you try to switch or dim from OpenHAB:

mosquitto_sub -d -t +/Brilliant/#

I have a switch called swPorchLight, so subscribing to that topic and switching the openHAB power switch on and off shows the following:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mosquitto_sub -d -t +/swPorchLight/#
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry sending CONNECT
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received CONNACK
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: +/swPorchLight/#, QoS: 0)
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 0
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r1, m0, 'tele/swPorchLight/LWT', ... (6 bytes))
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'cmnd/swPorchLight/POWER', ... (2 bytes))
ON
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'stat/swPorchLight/RESULT', ... (14 bytes))
{"POWER":"ON"}
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'stat/swPorchLight/POWER', ... (2 bytes))
ON
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'cmnd/swPorchLight/POWER', ... (3 bytes))
OFF
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'stat/swPorchLight/RESULT', ... (15 bytes))
{"POWER":"OFF"}
Client mosqsub/12211-raspberry received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'stat/swPorchLight/POWER', ... (3 bytes))
OFF

EDIT: Doh, you’re already using MQTT.fx, which I guess does the same thing.

in terminal I am seeing :-
Client mosqsub|28925-openhab sending PINGREQ
Client mosqsub|28925-openhab received PINGRESP
and so mosquitto is communicating OK .
In frontail I can see sitemap initiating the item, but the item does not seem to initiate the things. the code in item is
Switch sBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” (gLights, gIndoorLights, gUpstairsLights) {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:POWER”}
and in Thing
Type switch : POWER “Light Power On/OFF” [
stateTopic=“stat/Brilliant/POWER”,
commandTopic=“cmnd/Brilliant/POWER”,
on =“ON”,
off =“OFF”

what is the “link” between items and things?

Can we see that, for avoidance of misunderstandings? Guessing you see someItem received Command XX

Item

channel= describes a link
mqtt:topic:Brilliant:POWER gives the UID, the name, of the target channel.
As you can see, that is a hierarchal UID

mqtt says to look at MQTT binding for Things
topic says to look amongst topic Things - other bindings can have different types of Things
Brilliant says to look for the topic named Brilliant, obviously
That gets us to your topic Thing but that may have multiple channels
POWER obviously selects the channel

That is usually a two-way link. Item commands get passed to the channel. Binding messages get passed via channel to Item state update.

So we can look at your Things, see if it matches …

channel type corresponds with your Item type, that’s a good start.

There’s not enough of your Things file on view here to see if the mqtt:topic:Brilliant part is correct, we can only see the channel name POWER

My Complete code is

SITEMAP

sitemap our_home label=“Our Home” {

Frame label="Lights"{

Switch item=sBrilliantswitch label="Brilliant Light" icon="light"

Colorpicker item=cBrilliantswitch label="RGB strip colour"

Slider item=dBrilliantswitch label="Dimmer"

}

}

ITEMS

Switch sBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” (gLights, gIndoorLights, gUpstairsLights) {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:POWER”}

Dimmer dBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:Dimmer”}

Color cBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:HSBColor”}

THINGS

Dimmer dBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:Dimmer”}

Color cBrilliantswitch “Brilliant LED Light” {channel=“mqtt:topic:Brilliant:HSBColor”}

I think you pasted the wrong stuff for Things

Sorry late nights.

host=“192.168.0.20”,

secure=false,

]

Channels:

Type switch : POWER "Light Power On/OFF" [ 

on ="ON",