LGWebOS Binding (for LG WebOS TVs)

Can confirm that it works on another (same Debian version/config) system with just one NIC and without Docker. Will have to dig deeper in the network setup, I suppose…

Still, my question: is it somehow possible to setup without Paper UI or at least without needing the discovery or being able to add it manually after initial discovery? :grinning:

UPDATE: after creating a user-defined bridge for Docker, it now runs in Docker on the multi-NIC system as well. Any suggestions on how to make this work with a .things file? Tried adding the generated ID to the Things definition but it remains in a UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_CONFIGURATION_PENDING state with this definition:

Thing lgwebos:WebOSTV:tv1 [ id="d8fe390c-d43b-412a-b8fa-578b55b1ba0b" ]

and it results of course in two Things in Paper UI, one for tv1 (uninitialized) and one for d8fe390c-d43b-412a-b8fa-578b55b1ba0b (online).

I am not using .things files myself, but according to the documentation I would think it should be:

Thing lgwebos:WebOSTV:d8fe390c-d43b-412a-b8fa-578b55b1ba0b "Fernseher"

Toast messages are not working on my new TV (LGOLED65B8).
All other channels and actions are working as expected. Also the debug log (lgwebos & connectsdk) does not show more information.

Here are the log entries from the toast (via channel or action -> the same)

[DEBUG] [nding.lgwebos.handler.LGWebOSHandler] - handleCommand(lgwebos:WebOSTV:06deb30c-07ac-4833-9fe3-04855fb98967:toast,Test) is called
[DEBUG] [com.connectsdk.core.Log             ] - Connect SDK - webOS Socket [OUT] : {"payload":{"iconExtension":"png","message":"Test","iconData":"iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUh....

Btw. on each restart of openhab I get the following WARNING:

[WARN ] [ng.lgwebos.internal.TVControlChannel] - error requesting channel list: Application error.

I have exactly the same problem.
I have an LG OLED C8.
It worked with my 3 year old LG LED TV. Since I replaced it with the OLED, everything works (volume control etc) except for toast messages.

Did you find a solution? Could it be that newer LG TV’s do not allow toast messages anymore?

I am using OH 2.4.0 and everything I tried works fine with my LG OLED55B7.

There is just one thing bugging me:
When I switch the TV on (via a rule using WOL), it takes about 20 seconds until the Thing comes online. So, I cannot write rules that switch the TV on and a few seconds later for example switch to Netflix.
I guess the binding tries once per minute or so to check if the TV was switched on. Is it somehow possible to “wake” the Thing via code in the rule? Say, when I know I have just switched the TV on, I would wake it maybe 5 seconds later.

Thanks!

not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

After more testing, I recognized that it is not the binding which is causing the delay, it is the TV itself.
But by enabling “Quick Start+” in the TV settings, I can get the delay down to under 10 seconds and this is acceptable.
However, it remains to be seen if that option has disadvantages (besides more standby power drain).

To fix this problem I use this rule:

scene_living_timer = createTimer(now, [ |
                            var statustv = getThingStatusInfo("lgwebos:WebOSTV:7abca087-57d4-4c39-9aa4-3b25ec6e1b4e").getStatus().toString()
                            if(statustv!="ONLINE") scene_living_timer.reschedule(now.plusMillis(500))
                            else {
                                Thread::sleep(500)
                                TV_Living_Application.sendCommand("com.webos.app.hdmi1")
                                createTimer(now.plusSeconds(4),[
                                        TV_Living_Volume.sendCommand(30)
                                        TV_Living_Toast.sendCommand("Satbox started")
                                ]) 
                                scene_living_timer.cancel 
                                scene_living_timer = null
                            }
                        ])

Same issue here, Did you solve it?

Nope, gave up. I’m using a python script instead https://github.com/supersaiyanmode/PyWebOSTV

Thanks, Do you poll any status regular?

I’ve thought about doing it more in sync by polling, but haven’t taken the time to fix it yet. It’s not a big issue for me anyway :wink:

I only need to be able to turn off the TV, but it’s always nice to have feedback. I think I will have a py script running constant witch regular poll and use MQTT in between.

Thanks again for the link, it seams very complete.

@sprehn Hi Sebastian

I am using your binding with web os 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0 …thank you for your hard work…
Unfortunately I found some issues with Connect SDk

1. when I switch on multiple TVs -everyone is discovered in Inbox but names (not deviceIDs) are the same (copied from first TV)
  2. deviceIDs are changed after every firmware update
  3. deviceIDs are changed from time to time-don’t have idea what is root cause… so I need update my things files frequently…

I am using STATIC IP in my TVs - so I have great ask for you
a) could you send me link for “last ConnectSDK binding” which was using IP address in *.things file (not device ID) and is compatible with Openahb 2.4 ?
b) or could you add option (to current release) to turn off auto discovery and use static ip for connecting to TVs? this could also help resolve connecting from Docker and from different networks…

thank you again!

I try to use this binding with actions, but message “Actions not found, check thing ID” is appered. This means actions is null. I tried with two tvs, but unsuccessufull. Could anybody help to resolve this problem?

Hello,

Long time lurker, new user. I’ve been using webos binding for some time combined with WOL, makes great use dropping IR interface.

However, there is constant issue where TV goes offline randomly, it usually works when I turn it on through WOL and keeps working for while, but with time commands stop being issued and device appears offline in things. It is almost like connection gets lost when idle.

TV is connected by ethernet, LG connect apps, even Quick Start+ is on(WOL reasons).

Is there any way I debug this, it’s been doing since I added this TV(OLED55C7V).

Thanks in advance,
Jan

One other thing, I prefer to keep A/V devices on a different subnet than controller devices and OpenHAB too. Is there way to add the device directly by IP as discover does not find it in domain as OH ?

1 Like

+1 yes I am looking for this option also

Hi,

thanks for all the feedback and ideas. There a two issues addressing these ideas:

• lack of time: my current professional/private situation does not allow it
    => Maybe somebody in here is interested in looking into the code. I wouldn’t mind at all.

• connectsdk: the library uses snmp to discover the device. This is how it determines if the device is on or off. Now, connectsdk is discontinued and I have already thought about moving functionality from the lib into the plugin.
    => Utilizing openhab discovery via upnp for example. We could probably also build the feature to simply configure a static IP and poll if the device is responding on that IP, but as I mentioned, it would be quite different to how it works today.

Kind Regards
Sebastian

1 Like

Hi @sprehn,

Thank you very much for developing this binding. I believe all of us appreciate the time and effort that you have put in it (in your spare time)!

I hope other people are ready to further enhance this binding.

A general remark to people that are on the snapshots: do not upgrade to #1571. There is a blocking issue if you have this LG Webos binding installed:

The issue is already solved, but still needs to become available in a new snapshot (probably 1572).