Connection refused i Console

Hi all

I am totally new here. I have made a clean install of the latest Openhabian on my Rpi 2. I can easily access the webserver on ip:8080 in my browser, and i have followed the tutorial so far with great succes. However, i am not able to connect from my OS X Terminal via SSH to the Console of Openhab. I get the error “Connection refused”

I try to use the recommended “ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost”, and have also tried with sudo in front.

Can somebody give me some hint on this, i would really like to start to look into the configuration files

Thanks,

Did you ssh into your openhab server first? This command tried to connect to local host if you type on the Mac you most likely will get a refusal.

You need ssh username@openhabserver first then the comman you stated.

Correct.

Additional note: by default ssh connections directly to the openHAB console are not allowed from remote hosts. Only from the localhost.

So he needs to ssh into his rPi2 first and then from the shell issue another ssh to the openHAB console (or use openhab-cli console)

1 Like

Ah, now i understand! No, i tried to ssh directly into Openhab from my Mac.

I can read that i can bind console to all interface for my initial desktop experiments by following the documentation here Link.

Is there any workaround to do that without connecting a monitor + mouse and keyboard?

Thanks,

You just need to ssh into your rPi and then modify that file. No need for keybd etc

1 Like

How do you ssh to the pi?

jay@jay-desktop:~$ ssh openhab@192.168.1.234
openhab@192.168.1.234’s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
jay@jay-desktop:~$

If I understand the docs correctly you can’t. It says by default you can only connect from the local machine.