Copy OH virtual machine IMG to other NAS (for a friend)

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: VM 2Core, 2GB RAM
    • Java Runtime Environment: jre8
    • openHAB version: 2.5.3
  • Issue of the topic: Information/Question of possibility

Dear Community,

a friend of mine wants to start with OpenHAB and has the pretty similar setup as I have:

• KNX
  • Fritzbox
  • Qnap NAS

As I am running my OH2.5.3 on a virtual machine on my QNAP we were wondering if we could simply copy the IMG file (Ubuntu Linux plus JRE plus OH 2.5) and

• Of course change the IP address
  • change all the KNX config (Things, Items, Sitemaps)

But this would save us a lot of installation/setup time.

Anything else we need to take care for,or would your advice be : “Don’t even dare to do that” :slight_smile: . I am not a linux expert nor a OH developer. Perhaps we do run into trouble when updating the systems or so. Unique generated serial numbers or so.

And advice/suggestions are welcome. But don’t reply with. Why don’t you start from scratch with a fresh install. Yes of course we could but this is not the question :slight_smile:

I would use the openHAB cli and make a backup. Then install openHAB on your friends machine and restore backup. You would then need to modify the things to point at the new devices. This should still save some time.

That is unless you have the same virtualization software on nas as on new computer. Moving virtual machines images will work fairly easy if you have the same platform.

Your plan should work. Whether or not it saves a whole lot of time and effort remains to be seen but give it a try and see how it goes.

1 Like