Creating a dynamic selection

Summary: I would like to periodically execute a rule that runs a script and use the output that scripts to update a selection.

Details: I have a Nuvo audio system w/ a Music Player that I can query and get a list of Spotify stations on my account. This lists is updated occasionally as I add and remove stations. What is the best practice for doing this within an openhab rule? Should I create a virtual item of type Number and then have the output of my rule update/overwrite a mapping file that my sitemap looks at? Additionally, there is no ā€˜stateā€™ associated with this item, so I am not sure how to represent that either. These are essentially dynamic macros that can be triggered.

Following up on my own post hereā€¦
I started going down the path of creating a map transformation from numbers to strings. However, it appears there is no way to reference a MAP transformation from a selection mapping. And according to this post Change selection mappings via a rule it is also not possible to dynamically change mappings via a rule.

Any suggestions on how to create a dynamic selection of objects in OpenHab?

I have a solution that worksā€¦ But its pretty ugly.

I have a rule that I execute in cron

rule 'Update Sitemap'
when
  System started or
  Time cron "0 0 12 1/1 * ? *"
then
  logInfo("Nuvo", "Updating Sitemap")
  executeCommandLine("/etc/openhab2/scripts/updateSitemapWithPlaylists.sh", 60000)
  logInfo("execTest", "Finished updating sitemap")
end

Inside the script I have the following:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
/etc/openhab2/scripts/nuvo_get_menu.rb -h 10.0.0.70 -p "Radio|Spotify|My Library|Playlists" | while read line; do echo \"$line\"=\"$line\"; done | head -c -1 | tr '\n' ',' | awk '{print $0}' | while read line; do echo \<% @spotifyPlaylists=%q\($line\) %\>; done > /tmp/spotifyPlaylist.var.erb
cat /tmp/spotifyPlaylist.var.erb /etc/openhab2/sitemaps/home.sitemap.erb | erb > /tmp/home.sitemap
cp /tmp/home.sitemap /etc/openhab2/sitemaps/home.sitemap

This fetches the spotify menu, turns its contents into a comma separated quoted list then assigns it to an erubis variable.

I have renamed the sitemap that I edit to end in a ā€œ.erbā€ indicating its a template.
Inside of that template file, I have the following for my playlist mappings:

Selection item=SpotifyPlaylist label="Spotify" visibility=[Audio_Family_Room_Power==ON] mappings=[<%= @spotifyPlaylists %>]

This code replaces the @spotifyPlaylists part with the appropriate mappings.

Several drawbacks:

1. I have to run this every time I update the sitemap.
  2. The editor no longer understands the sitemap content for highlighting, etc.

Is there a better way to do this?

Iā€™m afraid the answer is probably not. You might have better luck using HABPanel and a custom widget. There has been at least one widget posted that shows something like this for spotify.

Thanks for the validation.

It would seem displaying a dynamic set of values would be a commonly requested feature.

Commonly requested, exceptionally difficult to implement with impacts to a lot of separate repos.

I also wanted to do this, like just keep adding stuff to groups and then have the selection to display all the name of group membersā€¦

I would also be interested in a solution for this problem. IsnĀ“t the kodi binding doing something like this in its ā€˜pvr-open-tvā€™ and ā€˜pvr-open-radioā€™ command?

Opens the PVR Radio channel with the provided name (channelā€™s state options contains available PVR Radio channels)

https://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/kodi/readme.html

Dear Simson,

Yes, that is true. The solution depends on your purpose. If you have a Selection item linked to a channel of a binding it maybe is possible. The binding has to implement a so called DynamicStateDescriptionProvider to populate the options. These will be used automatically for Selection items in some UIs (e.g. Paper UI or HABPanel).

1 Like

It sounds to me like someone may then be able to build a ā€œdynamic selection listā€ binding for this purpose that doesnā€™t have the impact @rlkoshak mentioned? Iā€™d be super interested in a binding for this purpose.

Alternatively, maybe someone needs to write a Spotify binding that replaces the python scripts many of us are using.

Now available in Basic UI and Classic UI too.

To be honest I have the slight feeling that a binding for this purpose is not the best fit. It is not about supporting any real piece of hardware or external service at all (and thatā€™s what bindings are meant for). I would hence rather implement a Spotify binding.

On the other hand it would be a great feature to access the state description in a rule. As well as a way to trigger a rule and let a rule know that a state description has changed. I will submit a feature request for it.