Creating sitemap using a UI registered thing

I’ve used the Panel UI to detect my first switch. It is fine in the Panel UI.

When I create a sitemap, it is asking me for the item name of that thing. But the thing was not creating using config files, it was created by auto-detecting and adding it in Panels.

So what I am struggling with is… where can I find the “name” of this thing?

sitemap my_site label=“My Site”
{
Frame {
// Switch
Switch item=Wemo_Mini label=“Gate” icon=“frontdoor” ← I’ve tried WemoMini, Wemo_Mini
}
}

Yield the following error as soon as I save the sitemap file.

2020-05-23 23:26:21.263 [WARN ] [basic.internal.render.SwitchRenderer] - Cannot determine item type of ‘Wemo_Mini’
org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.ItemNotFoundException: Item ‘Wemo_Mini’ could not be found in the item registry
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.items.ItemRegistryImpl.getItem(ItemRegistryImpl.java:85) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl.getItem(ItemUIRegistryImpl.java:837) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:367) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:782) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:918) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_252]
2020-05-23 23:26:21.273 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item ‘Wemo_Mini’ for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
2020-05-23 23:26:21.275 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
2020-05-23 23:26:21.276 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item ‘Wemo_Mini’ for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
2020-05-23 23:26:21.278 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item ‘Wemo_Mini’ for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
2020-05-23 23:26:21.282 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item ‘Wemo_Mini’ for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch

Does your Thing have any channels? You will need to link those to Items to use them in your sitemap.

Yes, it does but when I use “Switch” in my site map I get an error…

sitemap my_site label="My Site"
{ 
    Frame {
       // Switch
       Switch item=Switch label="Gate" icon="frontdoor"
    }
}

2020-05-23 23:54:13.316 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘marina.sitemap’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [5,20]: missing RULE_ID at ‘Switch’
[6,5]: rule ruleSwitch failed predicate: {getUnorderedGroupHelper().canLeave(grammarAccess.getSwitchAccess().getUnorderedGroup_1())}?

I’ve done this before but I didn’t use the UI registered thing, I used the text file based thing.

I can’t seem to figure out what “name” to use for my thing when using the UI thing. The help files are all for text config file setup.

I think I am on a bit of a red herring trail…

I’m behind a reverse proxy and my nginx reverse proxy is throwing errors.

I’ll move to a new thread with a proper title.

That’s a channel of your Thing.

You cannot show channels on your sitemap.

You cannot show Things on your sitemap.

You can only show Items on your sitemap, like it asks for.

Things, channels, and Items are three different kinds of object.

You will need to create an Item to show on your sitemap.
You can link that Item to your channel.

Try to understand the openHAB concepts here, or you will have much trouble.

1 Like

Thank you, I posted the only screenshots available to me. Which of those is the “item”? Or is there no “item” yet?

I told the UI to create ‘items’ for me when registering new things but I can’t find the name of it.

The manual only talks about adding things/items via flat file config files.

So far as I can see, you have no Item
You can click the big blue spot next to your channel to link the channel to an Item, one of the choices is to create a new Item.

When you’ve got an Item linked to a channel, you’ll see it identified with that channel.