Custom metadata in items

The rule usually isn’t my issue - it is more the usability for the user.

In what way? Ah you mean, I could maybe create a rule that creates all these items that relate to each other in programmed way. No I didn’t, but that is clever idea.

1 Like

I agree, mostly. The majority of the widgets I’ve created that work with metadata are on administrator only pages and are just intended to make my own life easier (i.e., not have to remember the complete form of the metadata or take the time to refer to my own documentation). But the example you’ve used of expire metadata is one where I do have it available to all users because I use expire for most of my motion sensing timeouts and this allows me to give users control over the timing of their own personal lights.

I also think that there’s so much more to metadata than what we’ve seen so far. If there’s a system that makes it easier for people to use, even just administrators we could see some really fun innovations come along.

I was just going to suggest this same solution. The could be a pretty elegant system especially in concert with the new update to let variables modify individual keys of objects.