Denon HEOS MultiRoom Music and TV Audio Setup!

HI,

I know this may not the proper place to ask this silly question.

I’m completely new to OpenHab and about to buy X3500H. But the Spec Sheet says X3500H doesn’t support Web Controls"

IP Control / RS232 Control / Web Control / App Control - o / o / _ / o

But X2500H does. Now I’m worrying that X3500H will work with OpenHab or not?
Can you guys help me with this. Thanks in Advanced.

Hi

I don’t know that model, but what I do know is that my AVR-X 4400H doesn’t support Web Page control.

Only proprietary “Denon 2016 AVR Remote App” Control.

• IP Control - Yes
  • RS232 Control - Yes
  • Web Control - No
  • App Control - Yes

But!!! The Denon-Marrantz binding for openHAB2 does work very well with it.

As does the HEOS binding.

1 Like

Yes. It just means it doesn’t have a web server with a built in web page. But you can control it from openHAB, the HEOS app or the Denon AVR 2016 app. It is a good product, if you can, buy it

2 Likes

Thank you very much for quick replies.
I thought OH bindings work through Web Control.
So now I no need to fear. right. I am going to buy X3500H ASAP.

Thank you Guys. Appreciate very much!!

1 Like

HEOS Binding works through the CLI protocol. The Denon/Marantz binding can not only work through http but telnet as well. This is how my X-3400H works.

1 Like

I tried to find those information in the spec sheet on denon site. But I couldn’t find. That’s why I confused. Thank you for your valuable time.

No problem, I’m glad I can help. As I wrote earlier, lots of details are not available on Denon’s site. That’s why we run this thread to share informations like this.

1 Like

It was helpful lots. Thank you both very much @rkrisi and @MDAR

2 Likes

This was very helpful.After reading the instructions from here before i didn’t have to face much problems. i have listened to very good music through soundcloud downloader and the quality of the music was too good. Thank you for sharing it with us.

1 Like

I’m glad it helped.

Hi @rkrisi!
Thank you very much for your efforts posting this nice tutorial. I do have trouble grouping HEOS Speakers on the HabPanel. I created switches for all respective HEOS Speakers and a “Group them” Button with the “Make Group” function based in the HEOS Bridge. I have added all other HEOS Speakers as “Players” and only one as “Bridge”.

Do you have any idea why I can´t group Speakers in the HabPanel?

Looking forward to your reply!
Best

Daniel

Which version of the binding do you use?
I’m just asking because there is a newer one (which has not been merged yet, so it is not “officially” included) which brings lots of fixes and new features for the binding. If you don’t have it, I suggest you to install that one (sooner or later that will going to be the “standard” one…).
With that you can do the following:

• Add all your speakers you need, Items etc…
  • Build your group/groups in the official HEOS app. If you build a group, you will receive a new “device” in your Inbox (the current group). Add that group as a Thing. There you will have Group/Ungroup button. Just by turning that switch ON/OFF you can toggle the group state easily. Much easier as before (and I also had some smaller problems with the older version - the groups were not always built correctly).

Hi Kristof,

thank you very much for your quick reply - appreciated that! The HEOS Binding version I have installed is binding-heos - 2.5.2. Actually I saw groups that have been made in the HEOS App coming into the inbox. But this wouldn´t enable to build and dynamic groups on the HabPanel environment, right?

In my ideal world I would have a group switch for each HEOS Speaker and one group/ungroup master Switch to form or even deform groups.

Example I
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker I
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker II
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker III
SWITCH_ON Make Group Master Switch

= HEOS Speaker Group I +II + III build

Example II
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker I
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker II
SWITCH_ON HEOS Speaker III
SWITCH_OFF Make Group Master Switch

= HEOS Speaker Group I +II + III unbuild

Do you know what I mean? I have added a screenshot from my current Music Dashboard on HabPanel. I need to admit that I dived into this OpenHab world a week ago - so my knowledge is rather basic :slight_smile:

But nevertheless, I am very enthusiastic about this Open Hab & HEOS combination since I have 5 HEOS Speakers and 2 AVRs in my place which I really would like to control via the HabPanel :slight_smile:

Looking forward to our exchange!

Best
Daniel

Yes you are right, with what I said, you can’t dinamically create groups through HABPanel.
Then back to your original setup… How did you tried to make them a group?
What it should work is that you switch on every Speaker Switch on the Bridge Thing you want to include in the group. Then (after every speaker switch is ON), simply switch ON the Make Group switch. That should build the group.
Anyway I suggest you to install this version:
https://download.martinvw.nl/org.openhab.binding.heos-2.5.2-SNAPSHOT-6099.jar

Which can be found here in this PR:

What I said here in the beginning works also in this version, but this contains a lot of fixes and also brings new functionalities (like selecting music from your Queue, clearing the Queue, etc…).

Hi! After deep learning on how to work with the console and using karaf to manually install .JARs and activating bundles via console I am back :slight_smile:

I installed the suggested update for the HEOS bundle.

I do have one HEOS bridge activated and all other HEOS devices als Players in things. On the HabPanel I do have one SWITCH for each player and on “Make Group” Switch. All are “coming from” the defined HEOS bridge.

When turning on HEOS Player and also turning on the “Make Group” switch nothing happens unfortunately… do you have any idea if I am missing something? Do I need to apply anything else like a rule or something? I understood rules are not required anymore!? I also need to include only one bridge and not all discovered HEOS bridges, right?

Cheers!

Yes you should only have one Bridge.
You don’t need any rule for this to work. It should work as you said. Select the players (which is linked to a Switch from your Bridge - so in the Bridge you should see all your players) and after selecting the right players, turn on (eg.: press) the “Make group” switch.

Few questions:

• After uninstalling and installing the new version, did you deleted all your HEOS Things and re-added them?
  • Can you see any info about this in the log?
  • Could you provide some item declaration, screenshot or anything regarding your config? Maybe it will help to solve these issues.