Denon/Marantz binding: Exception occurred while informing handler: null

Dear Everyone!

Anyone who is using this binding actively, know why this happens for me since today morning? I haven’t changed any configuration in openHab since days, so this happened out of nowhere (Denon AVR is set to auto-update, so it might updated itself during the overnight, but I’m not sure)

The error which I get:

2018-09-03 12:15:45.354 [ERROR] [ome.core.thing.link.ThingLinkManager] - Exception occurred while informing handler: null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.internal.connector.telnet.DenonMarantzTelnetConnector.internalSendCommand(DenonMarantzTelnetConnector.java:249) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.internal.connector.DenonMarantzConnector.sendMuteCommand(DenonMarantzConnector.java:108) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.handler.DenonMarantzHandler.handleCommand(DenonMarantzHandler.java:103) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler.channelLinked(BaseThingHandler.java:278) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.handler.DenonMarantzHandler.channelLinked(DenonMarantzHandler.java:373) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ThingLinkManager.lambda$0(ThingLinkManager.java:300) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
2018-09-03 12:15:45.357 [ERROR] [ome.core.thing.link.ThingLinkManager] - Exception occurred while informing handler: null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.internal.connector.telnet.DenonMarantzTelnetConnector.internalSendCommand(DenonMarantzTelnetConnector.java:249) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.internal.connector.DenonMarantzConnector.sendInputCommand(DenonMarantzConnector.java:76) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.handler.DenonMarantzHandler.handleCommand(DenonMarantzHandler.java:112) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler.channelLinked(BaseThingHandler.java:278) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz.handler.DenonMarantzHandler.channelLinked(DenonMarantzHandler.java:373) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ThingLinkManager.lambda$0(ThingLinkManager.java:300) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

In PaperUI the thing shows ‘Unknown’ status. Tried to restart openHab or reinstall the binding, it didn’t helped…

This seems really weird. I had the marketplace binding installed, now I have changed it to the denonmarantz 2.3.0 binding, but the same thing occurs…

No one? :frowning: I have even updated to 2.4.0 M3 and the issue is still there… However I can’t see the error, but still ‘Unknown’…

You should get a better log capture. Turn trace logging on for the binding and then wait for these errors to occur. Then attach that log here.

what is the package name of this binding? I know the command on how to set logging level (log:set TRACE …), but I always struggle to find the name of the binding (package name maybe?). Where I can find these?

Ps.: I think I found it: org.openhab.binding.denonmarantz…

Now I can see this binding on TRACE level, and I get errors like this:

2018-09-05 15:12:22.212 [TRACE] [ctor.telnet.DenonMarantzTelnetClient] - Socket timeout

I have restarted the AVR (pulled out from power source) and now it seems that it is working…

Yep, that’s the ticket.