Developing an openHAB server hardware

Impressive feat of work, and i especially like this part of your post:

But the device is completely hackable so there are no limits to what you can do with it.

Id love to get my hands on one board and see where i can get with a little automation project with the geothermal heating system my house. I’ve been looking to create a board myself with rs485 (for the CM3) as the heating system is controlled by a PLC with a MODBUS, however i lack the hardware skills.

Id essentially would only need the base board (can buy and flash the module myself), how and where can i get one?

Hi Rijad,

selling just the bare Smart Hub board is certainly possible. We have boards in stock now but we still need to organize the logistics. There will be a dedicated product page on the Telegea project site shortly with the possibility to order the board.

You can certainly install the software on the Compute Module yourself but be aware that you will need some custom Device Tree overlays to get all the integrated hardware components (e.g. RS485 port) to work. You can find everything you’ll need on the Smart Hub Software Git repository. Have a look in the tools folder.

Ondrej

Hi all,

I am glad to announce that the Telegea Smart Hub hardware is finally available for purchase. We have created a dedicated web page with detailed infos, pictures and documentation.

You can buy the board immediately. The complete kit including the Raspberry Pi Compute Module and enclosure is also on sale but the Compute Module is currently unavailable from all official resellers, so delivery time is somewhat undetermined at the moment. If someone knows a source for these, please let me know.

We are working on a flash image with a customized Raspbian Jessie Lite and OpenHAB2 pre-installed which will be available for download.

Ondrej

Just to let you know that we have the Compute Module 3 in stock now so you can buy also the complete Telegea Smart Hub Kit without delays.

It’s vacation time here and things are progressing more slowly at the moment. But there is some important news I would like to share with you.

The Telegea Smart Hub is now available with the Compute Module 3 and Raspbian Jessie Lite OS pre-installed. This will save you quite some time and will get you going with a working base system immediately.

The main changes to the standard version of Raspbian are the following:

• Enable clock generation for integrated Ethernet bridge on GPIO pin
  • Enable both UART ports for RS485 connector and serial debug port
  • Enable driver for Real Time Clock chip
  • Enable driver for Analog Digital Converter chip
  • Enable driver for EEPROM chip
  • Enable driver for I²C relay card expansion modules
  • Configure 1-wire bus on screw terminals
  • Install GPIO handling command line tools
  • Install Zulu® Embedded OpenJDK Java

Ondrej

2 Likes

We have done some more integration work and OpenHAB is now managing most of the Telegea Smart Hubs hardware.

The following items can be accessed via the OpenHAB GUI (browser and Android app):

• Digital Inputs (contact items)
  • On board push button (contact item)
  • Relay switches via USB relay card (switch items)
  • Temperature sensors connected to the 1-wire bus (number items)

The on-board temperature/humidity sensor ST21 is still a bit of a problem but we are working on that. Also the ADC channels still need to be integrated. This activity has just started. But when it is working you will also be able to measure your mains voltage.

We also played with the Astro and Weather addons.

This is the resulting sitemap:

We are setting up a new Github repository with documentation and source code needed for the integration. Eventually also an SD card image with the pre-installed and configured OpenHAB system will be published. So stay tuned …

Ondrej

In addition to the quite common 1-wire temperature sensors, now also devices with serial Modbus interface can be managed by OpenHAB on the Telegea Smart Hub. As an example I used a Chinese temperature and humidity sensor.

And here is a live picture of the demo test plant from the lab.

The following devices are connected to Telegea Smart Hub (top left):

• 4-channle USB relay card (top right)
  • 1-wire bus temperature sensor (black cable on the left)
  • Modbus temperature and humidityh sensor (bottom center)
  • magnetic window contact (at the top)
  • 2 mechanical switches (bottom right)

The whole setup is mounted into a DIN rail cabinet and it is powered by a 24Vdc power supply module.

Note that all sensors are managed by on board components and no add-on modules need to be used for this setup.

Hi Ondrej, I discovered your boar right now.

We are designing something similar based on Raspberry CM3L :grimacing: with a little bit more hardware.

The preliminary is available on this link: http://www.tanzolab.it/openhab

1 Like

Hi all,

we have created a new Github repository to support third party applications like OpenHAB on the Telegea Smart Hub.
Some initial documentation is already there. Now you can find also the OpenHAB configuration files for the demo test plant I posted here earlier.

Ondrej

1 Like

I was asked in another thread if openHABian would run on the Telegea Smart Hub. Since we hadn’t tried this yet I did a quick test and the installation runs through smoothly. Just flashed the latest openhabianpi-raspbian img file to the SmartHubs Compute Module and powered it up. After about 20mins I could reach the OpenHAB web GUI and the Linux console.

openhabian

With the solid state memory will there be less chance of corruption?

I answered this question in here.

But to add some information: the RPi Compute Module is designed for industrial applications so expect it to be much more robust than the standard RPi. Regarding the eMMC memory, it is very difficult to find reliable information about the durability of a specific chip but it looks like eMMC uses MLC and SD cards TLC NAND flash. MLC flash supports from 3 to 5 times more P/E (program/erase) cycles than TLC flash. Be free to google more information :slight_smile:

So i think the only way to find out is running specific stress tests.

Here is a suggestion: if there is any interest and we find a trusted community member to do an unbiased review of the Telegea Smart Hub, we would be glad to supply some free samples to run OpenHAB and try it with different deployment scenarios. Let me know.

Hello. I am very interested in testing this hardware, I have openhab running on a raspberrey pi already. However, I am new to this community.

I’d be keen to give it a try and provide an unbiased comparison to my windows and raspberry pi 3 setup…

Hi @Ckeller and @TommySharp
your Smart Hubs have been shipped to you (might take a while to reach NZ). Looking forward to your test reports.
Ondrej

Exciting news @ondrej1024
I look forward to trying it out for sure…

I would also like to test and review your device.

Do you also sell the things shown above like the USB relay Board? Does it fit in your din rail case anderen is it Plug and Play or ist any configuration needed?

Just got notice for this thread, very promising. If still applicable I would really like to try one of those as well. Let me know if you are still interested for Some unbiased testers.
And keep up the good work.

Hi, I am using openHAB with a raspberry for more than 3 years with a lot of binding and devices and I would be interested to test and review your server hardware, if possible.
Thank for telling me whether you are interested !
Best regards
Jetblack (from France)