we are a small group of hardware and software engineers who are developing a device for smart IoT applications. Shortly our “Telegea Smart Hub” device will go into production. As first application of this device it will be deployed as the remote controller hardware of the Telegea platform.
But the device is not limited to that and was designed with a broad range of applications in mind. We think it has many features which make it an excellent hardware platform for running the openHAB server software. The idea is to offer this device as “openHAB box”, probably with the openHABian OS already installed and customized for the hardware, so anyone can just plug it in and start playing with openHAB. But the device is completely hackable so there are no limits to what you can do with it.
The device is built around the Raspberry Pi Compute Module which means it runs all the software which runs on the RPi. Currently we use the first generation CM but the device is also compatible with the upcoming CM3 which has the same CPU and RAM as RPi3. Persistent storage is implemented on the CM as 4Gbyte eMMC Flash which is a robust solution compared to standard SD cards.
Additional to the compute core the hardware provides “out of the box” many interfaces to connect the most common IoT devices and sensors. Interfaces we didn’t think of can be added via extension modules.
The device provides the following features:
- Based on RaspberryPi Compute Module
- Real time clock (with integrated battery) for time keeping during reboot and short power off
- On board temperature and humidity sensor
- 2 configurable RJ14 sensor connectors for external wired sensors (GPIO, I2C, SPI)
- Screw terminals for 8 digital inputs for pulse counting or status signals
- Screw terminals for 4 analog inputs (0-5V)
- Integrated AC IN voltage measurement circuit (via 2 ADC channels)
- Additional configurable GPIOs (PCB header)
- RS485 interface for communication with Modbus devices
- Ethernet port (100BASE-TX)
- 2 USB host ports for extensions
- EEPROM for persistent product data storage
- Radio module (XBee shape) for connectivity with wireless sensors (optional)
- Wifi module (optional)
- 2.8" Touchscreen (optional)
- RPi compatible GPIO connector for add on modules
- DIN rail enclosure for mounting in electrical switch board
- 5VDC power supply via micro USB or 24VAC via screw terminals
Here is a picture of the current prototype of the board. It still lacks some of the above listed features, which will be added in the production version.
It would be really great to get some feedback from the openHAB user community. Any thoughts, comments ideas? Are there any features you are missing?
Official product page: http://www.dekitalia.com/telegea-smart-hub/