Dimmable light with separate brightness & state channel

Hi,

Situation:
I have a hue light bulb connected via zigbee2mqtt to my OH3.2 instance.

There are two separate channels for state (ON/OFF) & brightness and I have linked items with these channels separatly.

Turning ON & OFF or dimming the light is working as expected and the light bulb will manage to update the ON/OFF state in case I change the brightness:
E.g. if I change brightness from 40% to 0%, then ON/OFF state will also change from ON to OFF automatically.

However if light is ON, brightness is e.g. at 40% and instead of changing the brightness I change the state from ON to OFF, the light bulb will turn off, but the brightness will stay at 40%.

This feature in general good, as changing the state again from OFF to ON will recover the brightness correctly at 40% (Would the state item be linked to the brightness channel, then a change from OFF to ON would set brightness to 100%).

Question & Issue:
On some pages (e.g. a floorplan) I only want to show the brightness item and do not want to show brightness & ON/OFF state.
While the brightness is still set to 40% in above example, but the light is turned off, I have currently no chance to identify if the light is actually ON or OFF. Also if I add a lightbulb icon and have “iconUseState: true” the lightbulb icon on the birghtness item will still indicate ON due to the state of 40%.

Anyone facing similar issue and has a recommendation on how to best deal with this situation?
E.g. Is there a way to set an expression for the icon & the state used for the icon, e.g. if(state=OFF) { icon = lightbulb with 0% } else { icon = lightbulb according to brightness} ?

Thanks in advance

I got IKEA bulbs, also with z2mqtt, using the same ON/OFF and Dimmer channels.
Moved all my rules and items to only use the Dimmer channel as it allows turning on/off the device by sending either 0% (turns the bulb off) or x% (turns the bulb on at a given dimmer value).
Works perfectly fine for me in my scenario.

Yes, that would be a workaround, however by this method the brightness will not recover, when just sending the ON command, as it will always default to 100%

Yes, that’s correct, though only an issue if you also control the lights via on/off somewhere manually.

Another option would be to create a rule that acts on your switch and when i.e. switch turns off, send 0 to dimmers.