Dimmer behaving differently with ON command

I’m having some Ikea Tradfri Bulbs connected via the Tradfri Gateway. To get rid of all the gateways I added zigbee2mqtt with a zigbee stick to the pi openhab is running on. Sensors like motion sensor are connected already.

So now I switched to zigbee2mqtt with my first bulb but I see a different behaviour when sending an “ON” to the brightness dimmer.

When sending an ON to the dimmer connected via tradfri binding, the bulb is switched on a it’s previously set brightness. The dimmers connected via mqtt binding directly receive a 100% which makes the bulb turn on also with 100%

I made some experiments and it seems that the dimmer directly receives a 100% for the mqtt binding, so probably it’s not the bridge that encapsulates this logic.

Here is my setup:

mqtt.things

Bridge mqtt:broker:mosquitto "Mosquitto" @ "System" [ host="mosquitto", port="1883", secure="false", lwtMessage="I'm offline", lwtTopic="lwt/openhab", lwtRetain="true" ]
{
	Thing topic zigbee2mqtt "Zigbee2Mqtt Bridge" {
	Channels:
		Type switch : permitJoin         [ commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/permit_join", on="true", off="false" ]
        	Type string : state              [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state" ]
        	Type string : logType            [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log",  transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.type" ]
        	Type string : logMessage         [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log",  transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.message" ]
	}
	Thing topic bulbIkeaSchlafzimmer "Schlafzimmer Licht" {
	Channels:
        Type dimmer : brightness "Schlafzimmer Bulb Dimmer" [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bulb-tradfri-schlafzimmer", commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bulb-tradfri-schlafzimmer/set", min=0, max=100, step=1, transformationPatternOut="JS:openhabdimmer2zigbeebridge.js", transformationPattern="JS:tradfri2openhab.js" ]
		Type dimmer : color_temperature "Schlafzimmer Bulb ColorTemperature" [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bulb-tradfri-schlafzimmer", commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bulb-tradfri-schlafzimmer/set", min=50, max=100, step=1, transformationPatternOut="JS:openhabColorTemp2zigbeebridge.js", transformationPattern="JS:tradfriColorTemp2openhab.js" ]
	}
}

ikeabridge.things:

Bridge tradfri:gateway:mygateway [ host="192.168.134.29", code="3a3W9e1LmXW9oEzB" ] {
	0220 THING_LIGHT_ESSTISCH "Esstisch" [ id=65537 ]
}

my items:

Dimmer LIGHT_WOHNZIMMER_ESSTISCH "Esstisch" <slider> (gWohnzimmer) {channel=" tradfri:0220:mygateway:THING_LIGHT_ESSTISCH:brightness"}
Dimmer LIGHT_SCHLAFZIMMER "Schlafzimmer" <slider> (gSchlafzimmer) {channel="mqtt:topic:mosquitto:bulbIkeaSchlafzimmer:brightness"}
Switch SWITCH_DUMMY_TEST "DimmerTest" (gSchlafzimmer)

Now I created this rule for testing:

rule "TEstRule ON"
    when
        Item SWITCH_DUMMY_TEST received update ON
    then
        LIGHT_SCHLAFZIMMER.sendCommand(20)
        LIGHT_WOHNZIMMER_ESSTISCH.sendCommand(20)
        Thread::sleep(5000)
        LIGHT_SCHLAFZIMMER.sendCommand(OFF)
        LIGHT_WOHNZIMMER_ESSTISCH.sendCommand(OFF)
        Thread::sleep(5000)
        LIGHT_SCHLAFZIMMER.sendCommand(ON)
        LIGHT_WOHNZIMMER_ESSTISCH.sendCommand(ON)
    end

rule "TestRule OFF"
    when
        Item SWITCH_DUMMY_TEST received update OFF
    then

LIGHT_SCHLAFZIMMER.sendCommand(OFF)
        LIGHT_KUECHE.sendCommand(OFF)
    end

It sets both bulbs (the tradfri and mqtt) to 20%, then sends OFF and afterwards an ON. The tradfri bulb then turns on with the previously set 20%, the mqtt bulb turns on at 100%.
Looking to the mqtt broker the mqtt bulb really gets 100% brightness instead of only “ON” from openhab.

What might I be missing?

I think it’s a feature of the Tradfri gateway. I use Zigbee bulb (tradfri and osram) with the deconz binding, and have the same issue.

I’ve learned with the Fibaro Zwave Dimmer device, that you can set a “force brightness”, so that set in the module (not in OH).
I’ve mimic that for the Zigbee devices:

ule "Light Eva brightness"
when
	Item MasterBedroom_Light_Eva received command ON
then
	val bright = MasterBedroom_Light_Eva_ForceBrightness.state as Number
	if (bright>0){ 
		MasterBedroom_Light_Eva.sendCommand(bright)
	}
end

So whenever the bulb switch ON, it will set directly to the dimmer setting as set in MasterBedroom_Light_Eva_ForceBrightness
I use this for setting a defined amount of light, depending of the time of the day.

But you can use it, whenever the bulb changed percentage, you can update the Force Brightness item.
Example (not tested, used my own items)

rule "Dimmer change"
when
   Item MasterBedroom_Light_Eva changed
then
    val bright = triggeringItem.state as Number
	if (bright>0){ 
		MasterBedroom_Light_Eva_ForceBrightness.postUpdate(bright)
	}
end

Next time when you switch ON your bulb, it will have the new setting.