There have been a number of discussions around multi-user support over the past several years. This topic has gotten renewed focus recently. The main discussion takes place on the Eclipse Smart Home GitHub site, so I wanted to be sure that the openHAB community is informed on the progress and contributing requests.
At this phase of the process, I am trying to make sure we are accounting for all the ways people would like use security. We already have a decent list covering topics such as:
- Restricting access to certain resources (Items, Things, Sitemaps)
- Multiple login options (local username/password, OAuth2, LDAP)
- Integration with common user interfaces (Basic UI, Classic UI, Paper UI, HABPanel)
- openHAB Cloud integration
- Restricting access based on time of day
You can help by:
- Describing how you would like to use security
- Listing any user interfaces you use that have not already been listed
- If you are using openHAB for something other than home automation (such as in a business or convention center) please describe the setup and how user security would help
The design and development process is being coordinated using the GitHub issue and Google Document listed below. If you would like to get involved you can either participate in that process directly, or you can reply to this forum topic.
For the time being, please limit this discussion to describing your desired use cases.