Display item in several parent groups in semantic model

Dear community,

I have a question regarding the representation of elements in the model.

The switch for the Hue Lightstrip has the equipment “Lightstrip” and the equipment “Schalter gesamt” as Parent Group.
But it is only displayed in “Schalter gesamt”. I find this a bit confusing.
Is it possible to display it in both parent groups?

Thanks and best regards
Arne

No, this is not possible. The original intent of the model was to represent the physical structure of your environment and as no single object can be in two places no item can be represented in two different groups.

I struggle with the same thing. I understand the reasoning, however, to my mind stuff like doors are in two rooms.

I think that depends on the point of view …
In case the floor is on one side of the door and the child’s room is on the other side I would say the door is the entrance towards the child’s room on one side and it is the exit of the child’s room from the inside of the child’s room.
In case the door separates two rooms I would say it is between them as it is separating them.

Hello JustinG,
thanks for soon response. From a purely physical point of view, I agree with you.
But for my example, the switch can be assigned once to the TV (physical location) and once to a group “all switches off” for a central off (logical location).
If the switch would stay with the TV, that would be ok. Or if I had the possibility to say who is the main parent.
Currently, the assignment that Openhab makes still puzzles me. I would be helped if I could determine this myself.
Best regards
Arne

Hi mark_leonard_tuil, Wolfgang_S
thanks for your response. As already JustinG answered it would help me to be able to determine with which father an item remains.
Best regards
Arne

Hi again,
I found a solution. As the groupswitch “all switches off” is not a physical element, I set the semantic class to “none”. Now the power switch is displayed in both parents - this is exactly what I wanted.

Best regards
Arne

I found recently that it might fly if you use equipment tags. I think main limitation is location related. One point can belong to multiple groups if one is Equipment and other is a Location. I have this in several places where ie. whole electric meter (equipment) belongs to electric installation (equipment) and apartment (location).

This is a very important point of understanding. Not all items have to be in the model. And, in fact, I would go even farther and say that only some items need to be in the model. If I had to guess, I would estimate that fewer than half of my items have been included in the model at this point, and even then I overdo it a little with assigning programmatic items to the appropriate computers (for example, the switch that temporarily deactivates my pi-hole instance).

The only place I really feel that restriction on single parent hierarchy in the model breaks down is with two-way switches. For example, I have two stairwells in my house and each the lights on each are controlled by two-way switches in the hallways they connect. The model dictates that I have the single item that controls the stairwell light in the stairwell location, but that feels significantly less natural to me, and a less accurate physical representation, than allowing the switch item to be in both hallways, because that is where I physically interact with these devices. The solution is, of course, either to just make another switch item, or to deal with a model that is only 99% accurate. I tend to choose the second option.

This is the one intentional exception to the single parent group rule. It is intended to allow you to set which items from a location’s equipment actually apply to the location itself.

As an extreme example, if you have an environment sensor in your kitchen and a smart oven that reports its temperature, that’s two measurement:temperature points in one location and the model will, by default, average those to tell you what the temperature in that location is. In this case, of course, that doesn’t make any sense. So you can also set the environment sensor’s temperature item as a direct child of the kitchen location and the model will then know to use that and only that item to report the kitchen temperature.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.