DLNA / UPNP binding

Hello & thanks to all contributing here

I have a widget partially working using this binding (OH3.4.5). I have a couple of questions.

1. I use the control channel, for which pause seems to work to stop, but not to play again. This is what shows after a pause press on the control:
2023-10-08 16:52:07.721 [TRACE] [internal.handler.UpnpRendererHandler] - UPnP device ropieeexl [RoPieeeXL]-UPnP/AV received variable LastChange with value <Event xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/AVT_RCS">
<InstanceID val="0">
<PlaybackStorageMedium val="NONE"/>
<AbsoluteTimePosition val="0:00:00"/>
<TransportState val="STOPPED"/>
<CurrentTransportActions val="Next,Previous,Play"/>
<CurrentMediaDuration val="00:00:00"/>
<CurrentTrackDuration val="00:00:00"/>
<RelativeTimePosition val="0:00:00"/>
</InstanceID>
</Event>
 from service AVTransport

Could it be that I am mixing OpenHome and UPnP/AV controls? Does it work for others if you strictly use UPnP/AV?

1. Is it possible to get the AlbumArt channel to populate? It shows UNDEF. Or is this a function of the renderer (upmpdcli running under Ropieee).
<CurrentTrackMetaData val="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc=&quot;http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/&quot; xmlns:upnp=&quot;urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/&quot; xmlns=&quot;urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/&quot; xmlns:dlna=&quot;urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/&quot;&gt;&lt;item restricted=&quot;1&quot; searchable=&quot;0&quot;&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;V. Gigue&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;orig&gt;mpd&lt;/orig&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.item.audioItem.musicTrack&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;upnp:album&gt;Bach: Suite No. 3 in D BWV 1068 (Lamon 2002)&lt;/upnp:album&gt;&lt;upnp:originalTrackNumber&gt;5&lt;/upnp:originalTrackNumber&gt;&lt;res sampleFrequency=&quot;44100&quot; bitsPerSample=&quot;16&quot; nrAudioChannels=&quot;2&quot;&gt;http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9790/minimserver/*/Music/HR/Classical/Jeanne*20Lamon/Bach*3b*20Suite*20No.*203*20in*20D*20BWV*201068*20(Lamon*202002)/05*20V.*20Gigue.flac&lt;/res&gt;&lt;upnp:genre&gt;Classical&lt;/upnp:genre&gt;&lt;dc:creator&gt;Jeanne Lamon&lt;/dc:creator&gt;&lt;upnp:artist&gt;Jeanne Lamon&lt;/upnp:artist&gt;&lt;/item&gt;&lt;/DIDL-Lite&gt;"/>
<AVTransportURIMetaData val="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc=&quot;http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/&quot; xmlns:upnp=&quot;urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/&quot; xmlns=&quot;urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/&quot; xmlns:dlna=&quot;urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/&quot;&gt;&lt;item restricted=&quot;1&quot; searchable=&quot;0&quot;&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;V. Gigue&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;orig&gt;mpd&lt;/orig&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.item.audioItem.musicTrack&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;upnp:album&gt;Bach: Suite No. 3 in D BWV 1068 (Lamon 2002)&lt;/upnp:album&gt;&lt;upnp:originalTrackNumber&gt;5&lt;/upnp:originalTrackNumber&gt;&lt;res sampleFrequency=&quot;44100&quot; bitsPerSample=&quot;16&quot; nrAudioChannels=&quot;2&quot;&gt;http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9790/minimserver/*/Music/HR/Classical/Jeanne*20Lamon/Bach*3b*20Suite*20No.*203*20in*20D*20BWV*201068*20(Lamon*202002)/05*20V.*20Gigue.flac&lt;/res&gt;&lt;upnp:genre&gt;Classical&lt;/upnp:genre&gt;&lt;dc:creator&gt;Jeanne Lamon&lt;/dc:creator&gt;&lt;upnp:artist&gt;Jeanne Lamon&lt;/upnp:artist&gt;&lt;/item&gt;&lt;/DIDL-Lite&gt;"/>

Sorry if these are basic questions. I’m a big fan of DLNA and would really like to use this binding much more extensively.

Thanks!

I can’t say much, but when I (on 4.0.2) press pause this happens

2023-10-14 14:44:51.772 [DEBUG] [internal.handler.UpnpRendererHandler] - UPnP device Lautsprecher Arbeitszimmer received variable LastChange with value <Event xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/AVT_RCS">
<InstanceID val="0">
<AbsoluteTimePosition val="0:03:31"/>
<TransportState val="PAUSED_PLAYBACK"/>
<CurrentTransportActions val="Next,Previous,Play,Stop,Seek"/>
<RelativeTimePosition val="0:03:31"/>
</InstanceID>
</Event>
 from service AVTransport

And this happens on stop

2023-10-14 14:46:34.441 [DEBUG] [internal.handler.UpnpRendererHandler] - UPnP device Lautsprecher Arbeitszimmer received variable LastChange with value <Event xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/AVT_RCS">
<InstanceID val="0">
<PlaybackStorageMedium val="NONE"/>
<AbsoluteTimePosition val="0:00:00"/>
<TransportState val="STOPPED"/>
<CurrentTransportActions val="Next,Previous,Play"/>
<CurrentMediaDuration val="00:00:00"/>
<CurrentTrackDuration val="00:00:00"/>
<RelativeTimePosition val="0:00:00"/>
</InstanceID>
</Event>
 from service AVTransport

Probably you are using accindetially your control item on the stop channel?

Album Art is working fine for me also using upmpdcli (moode audio player) configured as upnp-av.

I hope this helps…

Thanks @yhd . It’s good to know that it works for you. The control item is linked to the correct channel. The volume control seems to be reliable, but that’s about it for me. I’ll also try my Denon AVR or Oppo to see if there’s a difference.

I don’t got my Marantz AVR working with this binding because it uses sub devices for the renderer and mediaserver. We discussed that that a few postings earlier in this thread but do not have a solution.

Actually, it works much better increasing the UPnP Response Timeout to 10s (10000ms) in the player thing config. It seems that metadata (particularly the art) gets lost eventually with the ongoing pollings of the player. Curiously, I never get the artist at all.
I get some weirdness with Sonos metadata too, so maybe my network or OH is in someway unhappy.

For your Marantz, did you look at trying the HEOS binding?

Could your mediaserver be the cause? What do you use?
I am using plex and it is running fine beside the fact that it doesnt support searching…

Minimserver, which seems to be pretty much the gold standard of DLNA servers, particularly if you have extensive tagging). Looking at the logs, there seems to be full metadata available at some point (see above) but it comes and goes. Given that the response timeout made a difference, I’m really beginning to think that either there is a black hole somewhere in my network or maybe a conflict between different controllers I have installed on different devices (which I know is a problem with UPnP/AV). I’ll try to figure this out systematically using the logs.

My media server (Synology docker container + local media files), Openhab (same) and player (Pi Ropieee) are all wired with Unifi 1Gb network. The Synology isn’t stressed. So there shouldn’t be a problem here.

I haven’t done the work yet to try searches, favourites, playlists, but Minimserver certainly supports searches with multiple parameters (even though most control points don’t).

In the MainUI, I use a widget adapted from one that someone made for Sonos.