Docs out of date?

I’m trying to follow the IDE setup docs here https://docs.openhab.org/developers/development/ide.html but I’m running into a couple of problems.

First off, I had to create a clean Eclipse install because there does not seem to be a method of adding Smarthome to an existing setup. I asked about this is a separate question about a week ago and have not had any replies.

So this is what was installed:
Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
Build id: 20180405-1200

It did an autobuild and produced thousands of errors so I did the recommended Project -> Clean and checked Clean All Projects and clicked the Clean Button. I had previously checked the Project->Build Automatically checkbox so the project rebuilt. It produced 2 warnings in the error log, both from eclipse.org.m2e.logback.appender but in the Project Explorer window, the org.openhab.core.karaf project had several errors. The main issues appears to be that org.apache.karaf cannot be resolved.

To run, the document says to open the Infrastructure->launch folder from the Package explorer and right click on openHAB_Runtime.launch. The “Package Explorer” is not open by default but the “Project Explorer” is. I found a “Package Explorer” under Window->Show View->Other then expand Java and select “Package Explorer”. Turns out it contains the same information as the “Project Explorer” so that was a waste of time.
The next issue issue is that there is no Infrastructure folder. I found openHAB_Runtime.launch under launch->home. From there I could right-click and Run As->openHAB_Runtime. I saw a couple of warning and errors go by but a check of the logs showed nothing too significant.

The next part of the document talks about Debugging and here is where I got stuck. It says to “Go into “ESH Extensions/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.yahooweather” folder” but there is no such folder in the Project Explorer. The page also says “For this exercise we will need the “ESH Extensions” package installed” but I couldn’t tell if going to the non-existent folder was part of the process of installing this extension or if installing the extension would make the folder appear but then it doesn’t say anything about how to install the extension.
I did find a YahooWeatherHandler.java file is the filesystem buries about 15 levels of directories down:
/home/user/openhab2-master/git/smarthome/extensions/binding/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.yahooweather/src/main/java/org/eclipse/smarthome/binding/yahooweather/handler/YahooWeatherHandler.java

Are the docs not up to date or did I miss something?
Thanks,
Steve

1 Like