Does anyone buy a car power inverter to charge smartphone in car?

I have gotten one 150W car power inverter for my phone use in my car in trips. it is modified sine wave. I have learned that the pure sine wave is better than modified sine wave one. Does the modified sine wave car inverter have bad impact on smartphones? I should buy a pure sine wave one alternatively?

A thought: your car will provide 12VDC. Your inverter will convert this to 120 or 240VAC. But your phone wants 5VDC, so you’ll have to plug in an AC/DC charger to your inverter to bring it back to 5VDC.

So you’re converting from DC to AC to DC, stepping voltages up and down again.

For greater efficiency just use an in-car 5VDC USB power dongle, one that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket.

Unless you’re powering more than just a phone?

Sounds like you already have the inverter though, into which presumably you’re plugging your phone charger? If so, that will smooth out any issues when it converts to 5VDC so you shouldn’t have issues with modified sine wave.

1 Like

hi, Hafniuzinc. Thank you very much for your explaining. Yes, I have an inverter like this, 150W Car Power Inverter, DC 12V to 110V AC 150W car power inverter, DC 12V to 110V AC, can be used for smartphone. Great, I do not need to buy a pure sine wave inverter again.
I got it from your details. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Or save a bunch of money using this.

Welcome to the community! As this post has nothing to do with the set up and configuration of openHAB I’ve moved it to Off Topic category. The Tutorials and Solutions categories are places to post working examples and how tos, not to ask questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.