DoorBird Binding?

Thought so. Are you using Asterisk?
Are you using a handset to talk to your visitors or have you managed to use the built in speaker/mic of the device where habpanel is running?

If speaker/mic of the device: How did you do that (I havent found a solution for this yet)?

Just a note to anyone with doorbird and that is the Ipcamera Binding now has some of the API implemented. A big advantage to using the binding is that doorbirds are normally limited to only one stream at a time which the binding can turn that one stream into many to feed multiple habpanel or apps.
Looking for feedback on if anything is not working correctly as I don’t have a camera to test with.

Hi Chris

No, i use a VoIP soft phone that registers to Asterisk on my Mobile device

I’m considering buying a DoorBird device to integrate with my OH system and would like to hear how reliable/useful/etc people have found the device. I would get a white D101 and power it via PoE and integrate it with my VOIP server. There are many 1 star reviews at Amazon but these seem to be from people who maybe don’t have quite the technical skills that I (and many people here) have so I can understand they might become frustrated.

Have you all found them to be a valuable purchase?

Im using doorbird d202 with fritz phone since 1 1/2 year. (using voice and picture). Everything works fine without problems in that time. In openHAB i have only implemented the live stream. In my next holiday i want to try that binding.

I had 2 units fail in the first 6months. This unit is nearlly 1 year old and no issues thus far.

First issue was the image had a moisture spot on it, second was that the relay control went.

Ive got the D2101V

Did you get a replacement direct from Bird or from the original retailer?

The retailer.

Hi!
I am planning on getting a doorbird as well. is it still working fine for you guys?

Yes, my unit is great. Made better by smart people like @mhilbush who made the binding

1 Like

:+1:

Ok. I’ll read a bit more about the knx integration and so on and then I think i’ll get it. :slight_smile:
bern77, can you explain it (maybe provide a link) about how you made it safe -> port forwarding (i own a fritz box) to not provide access to your LAN via the ethernet cable that’s going outside?

Hi @Jonas88,

I’m using 4 VLANs in my network:

• “inner circle” (PCs, mobile phones, NAS, home server, …)
  • media zone (e.g. TVs, …)
  • IoT zone (e.g. DoorBird)
  • DMZ incl. guest WiFi

I’ve separated the zones via firewalls. Inner zones can see the outer zones, but not vice versa.
For DoorBird I’ve configured a firewall rule to forward traffic from the DoorBird device to the server running OpenHAB, restricting source IP and MAC + target IP and port.

I use a managed switch to assign ports to the different VLANs as required - that’s also where the DoorBird is connected.

I’m not familiar with FritzBox and its capabilities. The described setup is realised using an OpenWRT router.

Hope that helps!

Planning to Buy Doorbird Doorbell after reading the Positive Reviews of Doorbird.

Hi Guys

When i look at the schedule using postman, its turning on Doorbird_SIP switch. For some reason though, I cannot work out where it turns on that name. The schedule shows this, but theres no reference to the switch name (Doorbird_SIP) when the doorbell is pressed.

Any idea HOW this switch is being turned on as a result of the Doorbell being pressed? The Doorbird app has only 3 favourites, non which are Doorbird_SIP

[
    {
        "input": "doorbell",
        "param": "1",
        "output": [
            {
                "enabled": "1",
                "event": "notify",
                "param": "",
                "schedule": {
                    "weekdays": [
                        {
                            "from": "50400",
                            "to": "50399"
                        }
                    ]
                }
            },
            {
                "event": "sip",
                "enabled": "1",
                "param": "0",
                "schedule": {
                    "weekdays": [
                        {
                            "from": "50400",
                            "to": "50399"
                        }
                    ]
                }
            }
        ]
    },

Hi @bern77,

Sorry for bringing this older thread back to life, but I have a question about your VLAN setup with regards to the Doorbird. I also use separate VLAN’s to improve security of my home network (e.g. separate IOT VLAN amongst others) I use an IGMP proxy for devices such as Chromecasts and the Doorbird to make them discoverable on my inner circle LAN.

However I cannot get the Doorbird app to discover the Doorbird device when I’m using my phone on my LAN and the Doorbird is on the IOT VLAN. It tries to connect for about 60 seconds and then fallsback to a cloud connection. I’ve contacted Doorbird about this several times and they claim that my usecase is too unique for them to add the simple option to their app of specifying the Doorbird IP manually. (I disagree because I’ve noticed quite a few people like yourself and me tend to separate our IOT devices on different VLANs)

My question to you is, have you managed to get the Doorbird app to work reliably across the different VLANs and if so… Please let me know how you ‘fixed’ it :wink:

Hi @QNimbus,

my VLAN setup kind of resembled an ‘onion’… i.e. the firewall settings allow the inner VLANs to see the outer VLANs and their respective devices while outer VLANs’ access to the inner VLANs is prevented. With this setup the DoorBird app on a device connected via the trusted LAN can communicate with the DoorBird device in the IoT VLAN.

But I believe the DoorBird app should work in any case since it should be able to connect to the DoorBird device via the DoorBird cloud if no direct LAN connection is possible…

1 Like

Hi @bern77,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question!

I have a very similar network setup (also onion-like if you will :wink:) and I use an IGMP proxy to enable discovery of the IOT devices on my inner-LAN network. However for reasons unknown to me the discovery of the Doorbird device (using the Doorbird app on my Android phone) does not work.

If I connect my phone to the IOT network the doorbird app manages to find the doorbird instantly (which is not really a surprise) and the app ‘remembers’ the IOT-network ip address of the doorbird for some time so that when I now connect to my inner-LAN network the doorbird app works (and can connect to the Doorbird device). However this only works when I connect to the IOT network briefly - when I only use my inner-LAN network (which is the normal way for me to connect to my network) then the doorbird device cannot be auto-discovered by the Doorbird app.

This leads me to believe that I somehow misconfigured the IGMP proxy or that I should forward other traffic from the IOT network to my inner-LAN network. My question for you is how did you configure your firewall (I use OPNSense by the way, quite similar to PFSense) and how do you forward the different discovery protocols in use by the IOT devices. (I think Doorbird uses Bonjour but I’m not entirely sure)

Just to clarify, I do have firewall rules in place to allow connections FROM my private LAN to the IOT network, but the other way around (IOT -> LAN) is obviously restricted for security reasons. All my other IOT-like devices (e.g. Chromecast, Sonos, etc) are working fine in my setup and are all discoverable.

Edit: I have 3 different VLANs configured (on different subnets each) LAN, GUEST & IOT. The IOT network is the ‘outer’ layer in your onion analogy.

Hope you can shed some light on this issue for me because working with the Doorbird app in my current setup is a bit painful :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Hi @QNimbus,

I’m not using an IGMP proxy (to be honest I tried to configure it for a Sonos device and gave up frustrated…).
However, the setup works fine for the DoorBird.

I do have zone forwarding in the firewall from the LAN zone to the outer zones (i.e. Media, IoT, DMZ and a separate VLAN we use to connect with our neighbors’ networks).

I believe you’re right about the IGMP proxy being the problem in your case. But as mentioned above, my experience with this is rather limited…

Hi fellow doorbird users who also have vlan/subnet issues -

I found a way to make doorbird ios/android apps connect directly across subnets/vlans.

Description of why in my readme here, along with python code: