Downgrade to Stable 2.4

I know that a lot of people have been working relentlessly hard for the 2.5 version, however I feels like this new upgrade has many issues and kept giving me different problem with many of my sensors I have used for years.

is the 2.5.5 really the stable build? am I the only one having issues with it?

I tried to downgrade to the stable version 2.4 However nothing seem to be working. here the commands I tried sudo apt-get -y --allow-downgrades -y install openhab2=2.4
sudo apt-get -y openhab2=2.4
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install openhab2=2.4

1 Like

There were a lot of structural changes between 2.4 & 2.5.x. It is stable. Only bindings have changed from 2.5.0 to 2.5.5. The main development is on OH3 which will have very major changes.

Did you read the 2.5 release notes and the warnings displayed when upgrading? Restdocs, for instance was moved ans some v1 addons now require legacy binding be enabled since there are v2 versions. Any invalid addon causes ALL addons to reload every minute, trying to load the invalid one. That was a change in Karaf, I believe.

Wasn’t the version 2.4.0 or 2.4.1 in the repo? Downgrading will just delay the inevitable move and increase the pain then.

What problems are you having with your sensors?

1 Like

There is few problems but the major one is missing events. and this tends to happen more often when more than one event happens within short amount of time.

I am not sure what is causing that, but I have spoken to few people and it sounds that is a problem for many users.

Could you clarify that e.g. with providing logs? Are those binding related events? I’m running oh 2.5 since it came out and if you take care of the stuff what bruce and the release notes mentioned it works without issues.

1 Like

I will go over the release note and make sure I take care of everything. another problem I have is the Raspberry rebooting from time to time.

I’ve only heard of this in the other post where you commented.

I’m not challenging your experience, but from my regular visits to this forum I don’t see it being a problem for many users. I might just not be reading those posts.

Per @Sascha_Billian’s post, we’re more than happy to help you by looking at your logs and code. We’ll either confirm that there’s a problem in 2.5.5 or help you determine where the issue really is.

1 Like

Clearly it is not. You’re the the first I heard of to report that.

EDIT: even the linked thread is nowhere about missing events. It is about rules not executing as you expect them to, but that does not mean the event is missing. You have to be precise in analysing and wording.

Which cannot be caused by openHAB (read: downgrading would not change anything about that)
I’d guess you rather have some sort of fundamental problem with your HW and/or OS setup, a dying SD card maybe.
Reinstall onto a new SD card using openHABian, ex- + import your OH config (openhab-cli …) and proceed from there.

1 Like

@ Bruce_Osborne Thanks, that actually helps a lot. is there anywhere a place where I can find the list of V1 addons? and what is considered as legacy binding?
I also read somewhere that I we need to copy our old addon.cnf and copy it over to 2.5? can you confirm?

If you go to the documentation url and it ends in 1 it is a v1 binding that knows nothing about Things.

Some v1 bindings such as expire are available by default. If there is a v2 binding available the v1 is usually moved to legacy. The release notes for 2.5 lists new bindings moved to legacy.

I do know officially it is not supported but some have done downgrades.

I can’t speak for others, but I was hoping to help you find the root of your issues rather than assuming a downgrade is the fix. Also, I didn’t know whether or not it’s possible. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.