eBUS Binding 3.x [3.4.0;3.9.9)

You can create a thing manually with your own configurations. So no need for the discovery function.

Wellā€¦ this does not solve it, at least for me.

You stated in your binding README:

The problem is finding the right IDs. You should first setup the configuration via PaperUI. From there you can copy the information for things and channels.

You can get the channel type by copying the channel id from PaperUI and replace the hash # character with and underscore _ character.

So this is what I tried. The creation of things is not an issue. But if my configuration is not mapped to the devices by discovery I am lost, because I do not have any clue how to find the channels and the types.

Addittionally I have 5 devices, and I need all of them. In the raw configuration files you have derived from the original ebusd CSVs and provided in GitHub - csowada/ebus-ebusd-configuration: Converted ebusd configuration for ebus library I can find 5 matching configuration files

• EHP00.08.ehp_configuration.json
  • EHP00.23.ehp.cc_configuration.json
  • EHP00.25.ehp.hwc_configuration.json
  • EHP00.50.ehp.mc_configuration.json
  • UIH00.15.uih_configuration.json

plus

• vaillant_template.json

And those I need to bundle, what I tried by putting them into a rar, with no success. Unfortunately I found no hint how to create a working bundle file.

So first of all, I have no idea how to set up the channels with the correct types, and secondly, I donā€™t know how to create a working bundle.

My hope was and is that someone already has created a working bundle or configuration file and is willing to share it.

Have the following issue. Have a LAN eBus coupler from esera. Configured IP, port 5000 and network driver ā€œrawā€ using openHAB3 Main UI. Am a Windows 10 user. The bridge thing is ā€œOnlineā€ and always green.

Shortly after enabling of the thing i get the following response using the Karaf console:

After a short time period (approx. 1 minute) i get the following response using the Karaf console:

I have not yet something running beside the bridge and an ā€œeBus Standardā€ thing without any items.
I can get the first response using Karaf again by disable/enable the thing again.

Thanks for any hint in advance what i could do.

Going to start with openhab->VRC700 connection, which hardware should i get? USB-version of ebusd adapter? It seems that this could take too much time, and cause possible customs office problems in my country. Any other options? Where to read about channels, available for VRC700?

Hello @dk8pn , Could you please provide a log? If necessary change the log level to debug or trace.

Here is an example bundle file.

Thank you. This I got now.

Unfortunately no channels are shown via Paper UI. So I need a starting point how to derive channel and type information from the configuration file, e.g.

{
			"label": "Compressor",
			"id": "Comp",
			"command": "B5 09",
			"template": [
				{"name":"Comp","type":"template","label":"compressor","id":"vaillant.templ.onoff"}
			],
			"get": {
				"command": "B5 09",
				"master": [
					{"type":"static","default":"29 1D 00"}
				],
				"slave": [
					{"type":"template-block"}
				]
			}
		},

and, more complex.

{
			"label": "HolidayPeriods",
			"id": "HolidayPeriods",
			"command": "B5 03",
				{"name":"hfrom1","type":"template","label":"Holiday periods","id":"vaillant.templ.hfrom"},
				{"name":"hto1","type":"template","label":"Holiday periods","id":"vaillant.templ.hto"},
				{"name":"hfrom2","type":"template","label":"Holiday periods","id":"vaillant.templ.hfrom"},
				{"name":"hto2","type":"template","label":"Holiday periods","id":"vaillant.templ.hto"}
			],
			"get": {
					{"type":"static","default":"01 43 00"}
				],
				"slave": [
				]
			},
			"set": {
				"command": "B5 15",
					{"type":"static","default":"43 00"},
				]
			}
		},

Am one step further now. Started with a LAN over power connection to my router. Due to latency issues the binding was not stable. Replaced this connection by a LAN cable and the ebus coupler is 100% available now.

Have a VRC720 controller but use the VRC700 configuration. Seems to workout for many values like modes (mixer, auto, night etc.), temperatures (setpoints and actual readings for outside, heat circuit and water) and pressure. But for energy values and programmed time windows i only get ā€œNullā€.

Has anybody a hint for me what i do wrong? Or can this still be a limitation due to the esera LAN ebus coupler and its own latency?

Has anybody running a Vaillant heat pump with the esera LAN ebus coupler?

I operate the ebus binding 3.13 with an ESERA LAN coupler on a Wolf heater.
So far everything works, but only the standard channels are displayed, where can I set that it is a wolf heater and that the binding uses the correct json?

Hello @Tallman,

could you please provide the exact device name. You could try to add the things manually. Here my thing configurations. Maybe it works with other Wolf devices.

• Wolf BM2 with Slave Address35
  • Wolf CGB-2 with Slave Address08
  • Wolf SM1 with Slave Address 76
  • Wolf MM with Slave Address 50

Just found the JSON files on github. There are completely different IDs in there than are displayed for me. That seems to be the problem. Where can I change this?

Hello @csowada,

thank you very much for your work on the eBus binding for openHAB! Used it in combination with openHAB version 2.x - was very happy to make the information from my heating unit available in an easy way to all the members of the family. Since upgrading to openHAB 3.x the eBus binding is not listed anymore as an available binding, so tried to install it manually (without success).

Tried to use the combination of the esera USB coupler, the serial binding and the latest openhab-ebus-binding from your github repository. Items where created by the configuration files used with openHAB 2.x but it seemed that the manual copied ā€œorg.openhab.binding.ebus-3.1.13.karā€ (/opt/openhab/addons) was never successfully loaded or even tried by openHAB :frowning:

Adding ebus to the old school list of bindings that should be load on start (/etc/openhab/services/addons.cfg) generated an error message inside the log that means, that ebus is not available to load.

I donā€™t want to waste your time with my enquiry but I want to know if you intend to make the release available again directly in openhab at some point?

Thank you, kind regards

Copying the file ā€žorg.openhab.binding.ebus-3.1.13.karā€œ into the addons folder should be enough.
How do you then configure the binding, via UI or text files?

Hello @Tallman,

the IDs are only important for Auto Discovery. If you create the Things by hand it is not relevant. Go to UI ā†’ Things ā†’ ā€œ+ā€ Sign ā†’ ā€œeBUS Bindingā€ ā†’ ā€œWolf BM2ā€ ā†’ Set ā€œSlave Addressā€ ā†’ Create Thing.

Hello @heini_huber,

yes, copy the kar file to the addons folder. Check the file permission, with my docker image I must switch it to user ā€œopenhabā€ for example. Remove ā€œebusā€ from addons.cfg. But I assume that you had used the 1.0 binding in oh2.x and not the 2.x version. Only v1 was an official openhab binding. Version 2.x and 3.x are both completely rewritten, so all configs etc. are not compatible anymore!

Hello @Tallman, hello @csowada,

I set the owner of the copied binding (org.openhab.binding.ebus-3.1.13.kar) to openhab:openhab with file permissions to 664. Afterwards I checked the Karaf console but it was not listed at the feature:list. I think that is also the reason why I canā€™t go on with adding eBus related Things via the GUI.

ā€œebusā€ is already removed from /etc/openhab/services/addons.cfg - does not throw error messages anymore.

Configuration was only done via textural config files with syntax from my previous installation under openHAB 2.x because of the missing ebus entry at the Things section inside the GUI.

As I wrote before, I donā€™t want to waste your time helping me out here - is an offical release planned to roll out anytime in the future that would enable me to install the binding via the GUI at openHAB 3.1 or later versions?

Thank you for your replys!

Hi @csowada,

I am using the latest binding - v3.1.13, running on OH3. I am experiencing a problem that also existed on OH2.

When changing the ā€œheat curveā€ channel (ebus:vrc430:[id]:15:vrc430_heating_temp-hcurve#temp-hcurve) it always sets it to 0 almost immediately after. No matter what I type/click it always goes back to 0.

The steps in the UI are set to 0.1, and on the physical controller itself it allows 0.05. When the problem happens, I have to go back to the physical controller and set it to a sensible value again. One thing I noticed is that when doing this is that the controller is set at 0.01 - so it increments 0.06, 0.11, 0.16, etc. instead of 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, unless I set it to 0 first.

The command config as defined in vaillant-vrc-config.json reads as:

"label":    "HC1 Heating curve",
            "id":       "heating.temp_hcurve",
            "command":  "B5 09",

{"name": "temp_hcurve", "type": "uint", "label": "HC1 Heating curve", "factor": 0.01, "format":"%.1f"}
            ],

I am wondering if the ā€œfactorā€ should be 0.05, as it appears 0.01 is confusing either the controller or something else in the chain (though the controller does appear to handle 0.01, though out of step). I also wonder if the type is mismatched - with it being an unsigned int and the value itself being a float.

Iā€™m not sure how to test this out this without breaking something, but am willing to try if you could direct me.

Hello @csowada,

Iā€™m setting up a new OH env based on docker. I have the latest stable docker file (OH 3.1), the 3.1.2 kar file for ebus and a FHEM interface using the latest john30 ebusd-esp interface for raw tcp communication through WiFi.
Globally the setup is working fine, but after some time the communication just stop with the ebus interface. On OH, everything, including the bridge, still have an ā€œONLINEā€ status. On ebusd-esp however the status is now disconnected.
If I just disable and enable back the ebus Bridge in OH, everything restart normally.

I found an easy way to reproduce, once the ebusd bridge is connected, just unplug the power supply from the FHEM ebus interface, the OH bridge will remain ONLINE.
So I think the root cause is the reliability of my WiFi device is not good enough to maintain a stable tcp connection. However, for some reason, the Watchdog from the bridge is not triggered to reinit a clean new connection.

Hi Dan,
typical heat curve values are between 0.4 (for floor heating systems) and 1.0 (for conventional radiation heaters). Such small values are probably wrong?