Eclipse IDE installer requires JRE 11?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: x64
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu 8
    • openHAB version: 2.5.x

I am trying to set up the Eclipse IDE for binding development. I am following the instructions here:

I first tried running the Windows 64 Bit Eclipse installer from here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer
but it said it needed Java 11 to run. I then switched to the version of the installer with the embedded JRE and was able to follow the instructions up until filling out the variables form. But at that point it requires you to select the location of JRE 11.

I went back to the product selection step and rolled back the product version to 2019-06 to match the screen shot in the instructions. That switched the Java version from Java 11+ to Java 1.8+ and let me select my local install of Java 8. I made sure to select 2.5.x for the stream on the next screen but when I got back to the variables page it was still looking for a JRE 11 location, and won’t accept my Java 8 path.

Has anyone else run into this?

I’m wondering if I should try an older version of the Eclipse Installer? On the history page it looks like the latest version is from September of this year but the one before that dates back to November 2018.

I gave it a try but it also needs Java 11 to run and I don’t see a version with built in JRE

Any idea what I’m missing? I wasn’t able to find anyone else reporting the same problem so it might just be me.

Thanks,
Phil

Java development usually requires the JDK ( Java Developer Kit) not the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Running OH requires the JDK too, I believe.

Those instructions were for openHAB 2… openHAB 3 is the current version in development and requires Java 11 JDK. openHAB 3 will be released before the end of the year.

Thanks Bruce,

I may have JRE and JDK wrong - I’m new to Java.

From what I’ve read here Any working tutorial for binding development?, and elsewhere OH2 is still recommended over OH3 because it is more stable and better documented. Assuming that is the case, is there a path to get a version of Eclipse IDE running on Java 8? It seems that it was still working for the folks in that thread as of August this year.

Thanks,
Phil

New bindings have to be developed for openHAB 3 as version 2.5.x will not get new festures…

If it is easier for you to develop on 2.5.x then do that. It took me about 1hr to convert 3 bindings from 2.5.x to 3.0. The majority of time will be spent on logic and integrate binding with openhab. 2.5.x and 3.0 are very similar in that.

I’m using eclipse for both 2.5.x and 3.0. You can set them up following the official binding development documentation. The difference is that it’s two different branches openhab-2.5.x and.openhab-master for openhab 3.

You can set them up following the official binding development documentation. The difference is that it’s two different branches openhab-2.5.x and.openhab-master for openhab 3.

Understood. I still haven’t found a way to install the Eclipse IDE for Java 8 though. Has anyone been able to get that to work since the September release of the new Eclipse installer?

Thanks,
Phil

I set up a development environment last week for 2.5.x and 3.0.0 without a problem, following the link above.

Thanks Seaside,

Since you set up for both, does that mean you have both Java 8 and Java 11 installed? Maybe I just need to install Java 11 to keep the installer happy but it will still use Java 8 for the 2.5 development?

Thanks,
Phil

I have two different instances set up. One eclipse instance for 2-5-x where I run java8 and another one with java11 for 3.0.0.
I think you can use java11 for 2.5.x as well, but I have not tried that.

Ok. In case anyone else runs into this, I installed Java 11 and re-ran the Eclipse IDE installer. I selected the Latest Release for the Product Version. I checked the openHab development box on the next page and set the stream to 2.5. Then for the JRE 11 location I browsed to new Java 11 install path.

From there everything went smoothly. I was able to run the demo app for 2.5.x using the Java SE-1.8 execution environment.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Phil

2 Likes