Ecobee binding - confusing to initially link up

Good afternoon, all.

Working on playing with OpenHABian - got things running and with some help from folks on here, got my first binding working (OmniPro). Next, I’m trying to link to Ecobee. I created the API key on Ecobee’s site, but have no idea how to actually get it linked to OpenHAB2.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I can’t really find a “process document” anywhere.

Create an ecobee.cfg in the openhab conf/services directory with the following:

appkey=put key here from https://www.ecobee.com/home/secure/developer.jsf
scope=smartWrite

Then you’ll need to watch the log file and it will show a pin that you’ll need to go back to https://www.ecobee.com/home/secure/settings.jsf and enter the pin in My Apps ad press the Install App button. See https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/ecobee1/#authorization as well.

So here’s the weird part - I added the API key in the PaperUI interface, and it was there but it looks like all the entries were REM’d out with a “#”. I removed the “#” and restarted the OpenHAB service, but no change. The log (in both cases) shows this:

2019-08-14 11:16:40.551 [INFO ] [inding.ecobee.internal.EcobeeBinding] - No Ecobee in-bindings have been found for selection.

I know I’m supposed to see the EcobeePIN exchange in the logs, but I’m not seeing it. I’m assuming the logs I’d see this in would be the regular Log Viewer (which is set to display both the “openhab.log” and “events.log”. But I’m not seeing it happen.

I’m also seeing this occasionally in the logs (though it’s probably unrelated):

2019-08-14 11:21:41.714 [WARN ] [java.util.prefs                     ] - Could not lock User prefs.  Unix error code 2.
2019-08-14 11:21:41.720 [WARN ] [java.util.prefs                     ] - Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.
2019-08-14 11:22:11.708 [WARN ] [java.util.prefs                     ] - Could not lock User prefs.  Unix error code 2.
2019-08-14 11:22:11.711 [WARN ] [java.util.prefs                     ] - Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.```

The Java preferences storage is corrupt. See: https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/ecobee1/#troubleshooting-authorization

I attempted this, but it had no impact. The log is still showing those errors - it “may” also be impacting homekit integration as well (can’t pair, and after all the different troubleshooting items on that, this might be impacting as well). :frowning: