Ecobee binding -- same account with two Openhab installs?

I have Ecobee thermostats in two houses, configured on a single Ecobee account with two “Homes”. Are there any issues with using the same Ecobee appkey from two openhab instances?

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I don’t recall seeing anything in the Ecobee API specs about “Homes” (other than “home” being one of the three standard ClimateRefs).

I had a slightly different scenario when I was testing the OH2 version of the binding. I had one home with 2 thermostats, but I wanted to have two OH instances access those thermostats – one OH instance was a test instance, and the other was a production instance. The only way I found to do this was to create two separate API keys in the “Developer” page of the Ecobee portal.

Based on my current understanding of the Ecobee authorization process, I suspect you’ll need to get two API keys to accomplish what you want.

Maybe the “homes” concept is local to the phone apps, and website… it’s useful to separate sites under one login, but not essential to the issue at hand. I guess there’s no real downside to creating a second API key, so I’ll go ahead and do that.

Nope. Very easy to do. Just name them in a way that makes sense for your situation.

Ah, I suspect “homes” is what they call Location in the API.

Interesting. I don’t think location is the same as “homes”. Their web app uses a different API (graphql) than the one we have access to, and it returns “homes” as an array of objects with an id, name, permission list, and list of devices.

Maybe just a different view of the same data. When I query a thermostat with the API, the result includes a Location object that just happens to be the same data as the Home in my smartphone app.