Edit Item Metadata - GUI vs Commas

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _Linux
    • OS: _ * System operacyjny Linux/3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64 (amd64)
    • Java Runtime Environment: _11.0.10 (Zulu11.45+27-CA)
    • openHAB version: 3.1.0
  • Issue of the topic:When I probe add Metadata to ITEM with commas GUI force NEW LINE

I use THINK ROOMBA and ITEM for manage roomba functions
In documentation is ( iRobot - Bindings | openHAB )
Cleaning specific regions:
cleanRegions:;<region_id1>,<region_id2>,…

but when I build string:
cleanRegions:XXXYYYID;1,2,3 = CLEAN CORRIDOR AND KITCHEN AND ROOM

Then GUI user comma as “separator - new line” than additional parameters.
I probe quoted… but… nothing to do :frowning:

( Think → Select Think → MetaData → Command Options )

CODE GOOD FOR GUI PARSER not for ME:
value: " "
config:
options: cleanRegions:pof6vntPSeiMXhSMPWrm8Q;11;1;21=— Komplet (Kor-Sal-Kuch)
—,cleanRegions:pof6vntPSeiMXhSMPWrm8Q;11;8;18=— Komplet (Kor-Bia-Tram)

CODE GOOD FOR ME but not for GUI:

value: " "
config:
options: cleanRegions:pof6vntPSeiMXhSMPWrm8Q;11,1,21=— Komplet (Kor-Sal-Kuch)
—,cleanRegions:pof6vntPSeiMXhSMPWrm8Q;11,8,18=— Komplet (Kor-Bia-Tram)

Different is in commas (,) between numbers.

How to Add metadata VALUE with commas and prevent GUI not give me a error options:

ClenResions:…
–Komplet (Kor-Sal-Kuch)

I want add metadata in format ( value=label) with commas in value

1,2,3=LABEL123

now it is imposible - and then it is impossible to use full roomba binding for multi room cleaning

Please Help

Source od plugin roomba when cleanRegions was added:

I don’t use this binding, but I think you’re misreading the documentation.

You can clean one or many specific regions of a given map by sending the following String to the command channel:

This does not mean to attach metadata to the item. It means to send a text command to the item that’s associated with the command channel, which you would generally do with a rule.

Well, it is possible to pre-define commands for use in UI widgets. I think that needs to be done in commandOptions metadata though. And a comma-separated list of label-value string pairs?

I suspect the colon in the target command data might be a problem, perhaps needs escaping.

But that certainly needs doing to Item, not Thing.

1 Like

Hi, My fault - I spoke about Item and command chanel

I added a screens
ps. I probe quoted in code config but all genereted errors

Metadata with commas:

in efect i have:

• its not good

I cant send command to roomba good command ( CleanRegions … room 11,1,21 )

GUI use comma (,) as new line separator :frowning: and I don’t know how to change/quoted ) to not use comma as new line and use comma as separator in command or part of command ( value=label ) when value is a command.

Start simple.
Do you get what you expect with
Fred=banana,Mary=apple

How about
“Fred”=“banana”,“Mary”=“apple”
How about
“Fred,Smith”=“banana:split”
etc.

Not work :slight_smile:

I tying many options but in specs of YAML comma is function sign.

GUI also give me a error:
YAMLSyntaxError: All collection items must start at the same column

I don’t use this binding. Do the cleaning commands work if you % encode the comma (%2C)? That will allow the yaml to format correctly, I just don’t know if at any point in the binding’s flow strings are html decoded.

If not then you’re probably going to have to work around this with a simple rule. Make a proxy item and set its commands to whatever descriptive strings you want and make a rule to pass along the true command strings in response to changes in the proxy item.

1 Like

Hi

Using fake item is not a good option. Is workaround but not resolving problem. Meybe developers of GUI make some features to use commas in configs or quotted ?

It’s possible, but on the other hand, this is a pretty unusual use-case so it’s probably not going to make it to the top of anyone’s to do list soon. Particularly when there is such a robust secondary option.

I would suggest that you not just dismiss it so readily. You certainly aren’t required to solve the problem this way, but, I would argue that the proxy item + rule solution is, in fact, the more native solution. The command options metadata is a part of the MainUI, but not really the core OH. The proxy item + rule solution will work for whichever UI you use. You might not ever switch over to HabPanel for example, but if you do, this would be much easier to incorporate.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty common to use proxy items with rules. OH can’t do everything that every user needs, and proxy items often fill in the gap nicely.

But if you have the expertise, I’m sure the developers would welcome you pitching in and programming the necessary changes to support this.